Clear all

An actual law for face masks, new normal is official

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sofahkingfoxy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

This is the first law I’ve seen, a local ordinance passed in Dubuque, IA.

https://www.cityofdubuque.org/DocumentCenter/View/46491/Ordinance-No-31-20-Title-6-Facing-Covering-Requirement

I found the law after I saw this petition that was started by the city. When does a government body ever petition against itself?!? News to me.

https://www.change.org/p/city-of-dubuque-and-dubuque-city-council-city-of-dubuque-to-remove-provision-e-from-ordinance-31-20?original_footer_petition_id=24019705&algorithm=promoted&source_location=petition_footer&grid_position=12&pt=AVBldGl0aW9uAL9pbwEAAAAAXzwfY/xJEBk0MWM1YzQ2Nw==

Posted : August 18, 2020 7:25 PM
(@sofahkingfoxy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I’ve done a quick search for other laws. These laws are hard to find because everything I’ve seen so far are reported as being mandates and orders and the laws are being left open-ended, that is, no sunset built in for an anticipated end of the pandemic.
Here’s one article on Idaho that includes links to what’s been passed in different cities there. It looks like these are so far local and not yet being passed by States. Doing it this way is much more insidious and it’s much less "bulky" to pass local laws vs State which involves the State legislation process. If you hear about your mayor or council approving an order or mandate it could be entered into the books.

I’m far from savvy on process. How do ppl find out about these proposals before it’s too late?

Posted : August 18, 2020 8:14 PM
(@orchid20)
Estimable Member

I think what we need to go after is the justification behind all of the state of emergency declarations that are still on and open ended for most if not all states. I don't know how it applies to local governments; but under emergency declaration policymakers can get away with all sorts of chicanery.

Right now there is absolutely no reason anywhere for a Covid 19 state of emergency. Compared to April the death rates have essentially flatlined. My question is, how do we push our state legislatures to challenge these open-ended emergency declarations?

(edit) Case in point: Idaho https://www.khq.com/news/idahos-house-of-representatives-votes-to-end-coronavirus-emergency-effective-immediately/article_a530255a-e713-11ea-8410-6f4b42473352.html

Posted : August 22, 2020 2:04 PM
(@mimir1127)

Pennsylvania has had a mandate for masks whenever you leave the house with all sorts of loopholes and no enforcement unless in most chain stores or government buildings. Apparently you can claim exemption for number of reasons and you do not actually have to disclose reasons for exemption if questioned. I generally wear one in stores just to avoid attention as in the city/suburbs it’s more commonly enforced but even some stores see it less now. Has kinda been giving me sinus problems wearing one at the gym and breathing my own sweat though.

To me it almost seems like they want it to be really vague and controversial, as it has increased instances where people just instigate arguments over mask/no mask virtue signaling. Listening to people I know act like people are either ruthless or ignorant of science if anyone questions mask policies and how long this whole ritual is going to carry on, or they must be a hardcore Trump supporter.

the contention has died down for now alittle bit as people are trying to enjoy summer and we’ve been normalized to the weird, but feel like the elections are going to get violent in then streets.

Posted : August 24, 2020 7:47 AM
(@crhrngbtn)

sofahkingfoxy wrote: I’ve done a quick search for other laws. These laws are hard to find because everything I’ve seen so far are reported as being mandates and orders and the laws are being left open-ended, that is, no sunset built in for an anticipated end of the pandemic.
Here’s one article on Idaho that includes links to what’s been passed in different cities there. It looks like these are so far local and not yet being passed by States. Doing it this way is much more insidious and it’s much less "bulky" to pass local laws vs State which involves the State legislation process. If you hear about your mayor or council approving an order or mandate it could be entered into the books.

I’m far from savvy on process. How do ppl find out about these proposals before it’s too late?

Where do you live? If you're in the US, Peggy Hall at thehealthyamerican.org is a great resource!

Posted : October 11, 2020 6:10 PM
(@sofahkingfoxy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

crhrngbtn wrote: Where do you live? If you're in the US, Peggy Hall at thehealthyamerican.org is a great resource!

‘I took a quick tour of her website and feel rather cautious about it and some of the claims. She is saying there is no legal basis for any of the mandates. My understanding is every State has it’s own provisions for action during a public crisis. Although IMO they are being abused, based on some reading of the legalities discussed by attorneys, professors & law students, Governors are basically acting within the laws of their State. Ms. Hall says she got the mask mandate dropped in Orange County but failed to note it was reinstated 2 days later.

‘My other impression is that this website is more of a commercial business than a resource for activism. She’s selling merch, information and personal consultations. There’s information too, but I’d advise anyone to dig a little deeper before putting trust in her advise.

‘I could be wrong. Like I said, I wasn’t able to spend very much time on it. I do appreciate that you cared and took the time to offer it up.

Posted : October 23, 2020 4:55 AM
Share: