I Rave for Corn Dogs

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
jdaneway
(@jdaneway)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I try to eat all organic and grow some of my own vegetables (difficult in Tucson) and even permacultured my last yard, but I have a weakness. That weakness is Corn Dogs. I am happy to say, I have perfected the art of preparing store-bought frozen corn dogs.

First: Defrost on low in the microwave. Don't over do it in the microwave - the corn breading has to stay in tact.
Second: Place the defrosted corn dogs directly on the rack in the toaster oven. Cook on the medium toast setting, or until the exterior is crispy.
Third: Serve with honey and yellow mustard.

In my youth, my mother wouldn't let me buy a corn dog or any unhealthy food at the fair. So, corn dogs have always been a kind of guilty pleasure. I've eaten more corn dogs during the pandemic, than in my entire life. I guess it's a kind of food security. Have you formed funny, comforting habits during the pandemic?

Posted : June 6, 2021 4:51 PM
(@tacosalad)
Eminent Member

jdaneway wrote:
I try to eat all organic and grow some of my own vegetables (difficult in Tucson) and even permacultured my last yard, but I have a weakness. That weakness is Corn Dogs. I am happy to say, I have perfected the art of preparing store-bought frozen corn dogs.

First: Defrost on low in the microwave. Don't over do it in the microwave - the corn breading has to stay in tact.
Second: Place the defrosted corn dogs directly on the rack in the toaster oven. Cook on the medium toast setting, or until the exterior is crispy.
Third: Serve with honey and yellow mustard.

In my youth, my mother wouldn't let me buy a corn dog or any unhealthy food at the fair. So, corn dogs have always been a kind of guilty pleasure. I've eaten more corn dogs during the pandemic, than in my entire life. I guess it's a kind of food security. Have you formed funny, comforting habits during the pandemic?

Ha! Corn dogs from the fair are something I look forward to every year. My guilty pleasure this year was those gosh darn dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets in the freezer bags. I try to save them for when I have an upset stomach and just can't seem to eat anything else. Happy to say, my roommate started growing a garden in our small yard, and it is going very well. Kale, lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, strawberries, parsley and cilantro, all in a 6 x 6 foot box. Well, the tomatoes are separate from that. With sunflowers and other pretty flowers between the veggies.

Posted : June 6, 2021 5:16 PM
jdaneway
(@jdaneway)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

tacosalad wrote:
Ha! Corn dogs from the fair are something I look forward to every year. My guilty pleasure this year was those gosh darn dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets in the freezer bags. I try to save them for when I have an upset stomach and just can't seem to eat anything else. Happy to say, my roommate started growing a garden in our small yard, and it is going very well. Kale, lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, strawberries, parsley and cilantro, all in a 6 x 6 foot box. Well, the tomatoes are separate from that. With sunflowers and other pretty flowers between the veggies.

Nuggets - mmm with BBQ sauce. I miss having a big garden. It's just too hot here, and I have to use way too much water for little result. But, my tomatoes came early enough this year! Hope you get a big harvest!

Posted : June 6, 2021 5:30 PM
(@tacosalad)
Eminent Member

jdaneway wrote:
Nuggets - mmm with BBQ sauce. I miss having a big garden. It's just too hot here, and I have to use way too much water for little result. But, my tomatoes came early enough this year! Hope you get a big harvest!

Yeah, we don't have a lot of space, but the climate is good for it so she tried something new with the box. So far the kale and lettuce and cilantro have been excellent!

Posted : June 6, 2021 6:08 PM
(@smaaaddy)
Reputable Member

I've never had a corn dog but I'm interested
To most people I'm a pescatarian but when no one is looking I eat mcnuggets and I eat them in such a craven way its ridiculous, think I know I'm having for dinner tonight!!!
Once every few months and tbh I been doing this since before covid
Thanks for listening

Posted : June 16, 2021 11:58 AM
(@chillcrab)
Eminent Member

smaddy wrote:
To most people I'm a pescatarian but when no one is looking I eat mcnuggets and I eat them in such a craven way its ridiculous, think I know I'm having for dinner tonight!!!
Thanks for listening

Oh dude, I just got over the McDonald's craving hurdle. Last year I moved all but 30 ft from our local MDs, but anytime I ate their meat, I noticed my depression symptoms escalated for the next few days. Pretty sure I heard a THC episode on factory farming and how all that tortured meat DOES affect us. Ate my last burger in August and really try to avoid eating fast food meat in general, otherwise it throws me off bad.
The pandemic got me deep into craft beer. I graduated last May and promptly went on a bender, cause what else is there to do when the world's ending right as you're about to enter it? I've taken some breaks, but man, did my friends and I stimulate the helllll out of our local economy in beer money.

Posted : June 16, 2021 3:11 PM
(@smaaaddy)
Reputable Member

chillcrab wrote:
Oh dude, I just got over the McDonald's craving hurdle. Last year I moved all but 30 ft from our local MDs, but anytime I ate their meat, I noticed my depression symptoms escalated for the next few days. Pretty sure I heard a THC episode on factory farming and how all that tortured meat DOES affect us. Ate my last burger in August and really try to avoid eating fast food meat in general, otherwise it throws me off bad.
The pandemic got me deep into craft beer. I graduated last May and promptly went on a bender, cause what else is there to do when the world's ending right as you're about to enter it? I've taken some breaks, but man, did my friends and I stimulate the helllll out of our local economy in beer money.

Yh I'm don't doubt the meat affects us emotionally, its why I stopped eating meat in the first place, didn't want to consume the stress yet when I do eat meat now I eat the worst!
Swings and roundabouts tho isn't it, like you say you contributed to your local economy with the beers

One day at a time right now!

Posted : June 16, 2021 5:38 PM
jdaneway
(@jdaneway)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

smaddy wrote:
Thanks for listening

I was pescatarian for many years after they sold mad-cow beef at my local grocery and called me to tell me to throw away any meat in my freezer. Ugh. Lately, though, I am eating corn dogs! If one is going to get sick from any meat, hot dogs would do it. And I'm salt craving like I'm a fish. I'm not feeling depressed - maybe it's boredom. I'm returning to vegetables though. My husband's cholesterol went up during lock down. Mgnuggets are tasty -but I'm gluten free. You should try a corn dog at least once in your life - preferably at a fair. Do they have corn dogs where you live? Are you in UK?

Posted : June 20, 2021 3:52 PM
(@smaaaddy)
Reputable Member

jdaneway wrote:
I was pescatarian for many years after they sold mad-cow beef at my local grocery and called me to tell me to throw away any meat in my freezer. Ugh. Lately, though, I am eating corn dogs! If one is going to get sick from any meat, hot dogs would do it. And I'm salt craving like I'm a fish. I'm not feeling depressed - maybe it's boredom. I'm returning to vegetables though. My husband's cholesterol went up during lock down. Mgnuggets are tasty -but I'm gluten free. You should try a corn dog at least once in your life - preferably at a fair. Do they have corn dogs where you live? Are you in UK?

Ya im in the UK and I can't say I've ever seen a corn dog here!
I've been eating junk food all weekend and it feels good, really damn good

Posted : June 20, 2021 9:11 PM
(@alogan)

smaddy wrote:
Yh I'm don't doubt the meat affects us emotionally, its why I stopped eating meat in the first place, didn't want to consume the stress yet when I do eat meat now I eat the worst!
Swings and roundabouts tho isn't it, like you say you contributed to your local economy with the beers

One day at a time right now!

Yuppp. When I read Emoto's Hidden Messages in Water, the emotional cascade effect within the factory foodchain made a lot of sense to me. It kinda clicked. If the resonance within the water in your food (or the signature it has imprinted on the material around it) is that of torture and trauma, it probably isn't going to be very good for our own emotional resonance. Not to mention your gut.

So as tasty as they may manufacture it to be (because they have to for it to look edible), I cant let myself do it anymore. And when I did eat my first fast food burger in many years out of desperation, I had very adverse reactions and wished I would have just stayed hungry.

We have been very craftily manipulated to crave/seek this bioenergetic garbage they advertise as "food".

Posted : June 21, 2021 6:18 PM
Share: