The serpent and the lion-Question

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
jdaneway
(@jdaneway)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I think I just answered my own question. I was typing up a question about the original source/symbolism for the Lion and the Serpent in the Gnostic Mass, one that did not include Crowlian references to phallus or lust.
I think this is it - Chnoubis
https://symbolsage.com/the-chnoubis-symbol-origin-and-meaning/

Any other ideas? I've read the Serpent represents the Mystery and Kundalini. There's the alchemical lion eating the serpent. I'm sure there are a million and one references of lions and serpents individually, but I was looking for one together. The bible reference to lions stamping out serpents or the story of Daniel in the lion's den doesn't really fit.

I have one more question I'll post separately. Thank you!

Posted : June 17, 2021 8:26 PM
(@orchid20)
Estimable Member

You wanted some ideas - here's a few:

Inert Kundalini is energy coiled at the base of the spine that rises like a serpent when awakened; moving up the spine and lighting up the chakras (nerve plexuses) as it ascends.

In astrology, Leo (fixed fire) is represented by a lion and Aquarius (fixed air) is represented by a man. In the northern hemisphere, Leo is the hottest part of the year and Aquaruis the coldest.

The chakras, if one were to grab one of those prettily drawn posters from any new age chotchki store, are represented by colors - from red for the root chakra (the color closest to infrared/heat and therefore "Leo") to ultraviolet for the third eye chakra (the color with the shortest wavelength and closest to the color of the sky, or air/"Aquarius")

The Sphinx shows the body of a lion/Leo - representing the lower chakras; and the head of a man/Aquarius - representing the upper chakras.

Practitioners of Kundalini yoga try to facilitate "enlightenment" by raising the Kundalini/Shakti energy through the prospective chakras until it finally illuminates the "Crown" (colorless/1000 petal lotus) chakra at the top of the head.

So the "Lion eating the Serpent" may not necessarily be a good thing; because in this model it implies that Kundalini energy is entrapped in the lower chakras, preventing enlightenment.

Interesting side note: radio waves, including 5G/4G/etc... are at the lower ends of the spectrum - longer than infrared and even further from ultraviolet/crown chakra wavelengths.

Posted : June 17, 2021 9:56 PM
(@orchid20)
Estimable Member

I've never seen the Tetramorph shown that way. I keep thinking of the Wheel of Fortune card in the RWS Tarot. You probably already know that the Eagle is another symbol for Scorpio (so is the Phoenix).

Kundalini IS everywhere there is life, but chakra opening doesn't happen instantaneously, if at all. When it does happen, it is not necessarily pleasant as the energy system does some dramatic housecleaning. From a living systems perspective, the apocalypse itself may just be the opening of the seven chakras on a very large scale (I'm sure there's a THC guest somewhere who has talked about this).

Tyson Yunkaporta, who is a modern day ambassador of one of humankind's oldest surviving cultures, believes in multiple apocalypses. So maybe there is one for *each* chakra.

Straying a bit off topic but this subject has always been fascinating to me. Thanks.

Posted : June 18, 2021 11:44 AM
Share: