Clear all

How many do you know?

18 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@metalegs)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I'm sure we are all curious. How many people do you know that are sick, on a ventilator or died?
One of my daughters friends, mother is on a ventilator. ( its not as far removed as it reads) She is the only one Ive heard of from my circle. There have been a couple that report a "nasty flu" but no others with a diagnosis.

Posted : April 8, 2020 11:17 PM
(@orchid20)
Estimable Member

My family's veterinarian died of "a related illness", according to his memorial page:

https://vetmed.illinois.edu/in-memoriam-dr-peter-sakas/

It was all over the Chicago news. He deserved to be famous for something more than this. I found it interesting that WGN twisted the words around to state he actually died OF the virus (blatantly):

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/he-was-literally-dr-doolittle-beloved-niles-veterinarian-among-covid-19-victims/

He was 67. My stepfather told me that he had "a tennis ball-sized growth" removed from the back of his neck last year, so maybe whatever caused that also contributed to his illness or at least weakened him.

Other than that, a coworker knows of two middle aged women who caught a "bad bug" in February and took a month to fight it off, but are now fully recovered.

Posted : April 8, 2020 11:56 PM
(@metalegs)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Not much of a tally so far is it?

Posted : April 9, 2020 2:20 AM
(@sofahkingfoxy)
Estimable Member

I know of one, my kid’s employee. She’s a young adult, fully recovered. It went like this:

Employee had returned from NYC, got sick while there, returned home and then returned to work when she felt well enough. My kid was told it was a confirmed case. She manages a local grocery co-op store in a major metropolitan city. The store was immediately shut down mid day as was their 2nd store where the employee usually works but was filling in at my kids store that day. Both stores remained closed for a week.

It was later determined the employee wasn’t contagious when she had returned to work.

As far as I know, this was the only business that closed because of a sick employee. I can’t help but think about it being a locally member-owned business that heavily stocks organic foods, locally sourced foods and products and is very careful to stock products from companies that have high quality and ethical standards. Then again, because of the store culture being very conscientious, maybe they did it to themselves. I don’t think they were ordered by any authority to close. But I didn’t ask.

Sales that had been at Thanksgiving week levels at the time of closing haven’t yet recovered to normal over the past month.

Posted : April 9, 2020 7:04 AM
(@metalegs)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

2 dead (but shouldn't be counted), 1 vent, 3ish recovered?
I just learned of a Doc friend who is sure she had it. It was early, like February and before tests.
And a friend of mine died a month before his 90th birthday in an assisted living facility. He had respiratory issues for years and is not suspected to have died from Covid 19 but ill bet he will be counted.

Posted : April 9, 2020 5:57 PM
(@jack_daft)
Estimable Member

A guy I work with took on a fever over the weekend, a couple of weeks ago. He tested positive. He isn’t in the hospital yet, but he is having a difficult time recovering. In his sixties. His wife and daughter have fallen ill as well, no test results as of yet. Another guy I work with was isolated for 3 weeks, his wife was sick with the virus. Two others haven’t been to work in well over a week. No info. Could be illness or fear.

Posted : April 12, 2020 2:55 AM
(@metalegs)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the feedback!
Can I ask a general where at?

Posted : April 12, 2020 5:18 PM
(@jack_daft)
Estimable Member

Connecticut

Posted : April 12, 2020 7:10 PM
(@sergeysus)

Two of my friends had been diagnosed with it.

One of them had previous conditions a heart attack over 10 years ago and type 2 diabetes. Both of them are in mid 50s.

Both of them felt flu-like symptoms and both recovered at home.

They were "very sick" and did not require any hospitalization.

Posted : May 7, 2020 11:09 PM
(@jack_daft)
Estimable Member

Glad to hear they recovered. It doesn’t matter what anyone thinks about the reality/conspiracy of this virus...no one wants the theory tested on loved ones.

Posted : May 8, 2020 12:05 AM
(@idefix)
Trusted Member

zero

from Finland

Posted : May 12, 2020 10:05 AM
(@metalegs)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I was tested last week.
Negative for the swab. I don't currently have it.
Positive for the antibody. I did have it.
The county called and we chatted a bit about the test. I asked how likely it was that I have an antibody from another source. She stated this test was very specific for SARS2. Very small chance of another source.
Also am I now "immune". short answer is maybe. Its unknown how immune response, virus loading and mutation plays into things.
I was pretty sick earlier this year but my symptoms didn't match. But I had other problems I was dealing with at the time. My best guess is during a class at a remote hospital in the Arizona 4 corners area a nurse came in to pass something out. She stated she was too sick to work so she had to come in and do it. She had a nasty cough. But that is just a guess.
Please don't share your ick.

Posted : May 23, 2020 6:49 PM
(@orchid20)
Estimable Member

You'd think a nurse would know better.

It's good to know you tested positive for the antibody with no discernable symptoms. I suppose that is the best possible result, but who knows what this thing is, or isn't.

Posted : May 23, 2020 9:04 PM
(@metalegs)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

orchid20 wrote: You'd think a nurse would know better.

You would think. Wanna see a scary statistic look up the number of hospital acquired illness deaths. (deaths resulting from disease caught in the hospital)
Last I looked it was in the 120,000 range. And that's what can be found from insurance clames and lawsuits. Hospitals don't like to admit to things like this.

Posted : May 24, 2020 1:48 AM
(@jack_daft)
Estimable Member

I have a slightly alternative view to add. A guy I work with, his mother is an employee at a CT covid nurising home. It was recently dedicated as such. The anecdote he relays is that there are so many people dying there that they don’t have the infrastructure to test for covid that they aren’t even trying. He claims that the numbers are skewed and that based on his mother’s perspective that way more people in CT are dying of covid than are being recorded.

I called him out saying that the CDC has made “assumption” of covid enough to proclaim it as reason of death. He is claiming that the opposite is actually taking place at this. They are they are not testing and therefore registering deaths as covid related.

I can’t validate what he claims as fact, but if it is it paints a different picture than what we are assuming is an across the bar sweep of deaths being being claimed as covid related.

Posted : May 24, 2020 3:04 AM
Page 1 / 2
Share: