Clear all

Garden beds

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
pdubya95
(@pdubya95)
Topic starter

So who has their beds in and veggies in the dirt? I’m getting back into it this year, I tried hydroponics last year and it was not a good venture.

Posted : May 8, 2021 7:29 PM
(@jack_daft)
Estimable Member

Planted peas so far. Waiting until next weekend before putting the rest in.
My mom bought us a little hydroponic garden thing last year. The little pods all developed this slimy green around the sprouts. Kinda turned me off on the endeavor hah

Posted : May 8, 2021 8:53 PM
enjoypolo
(@enjoypolo)
Member Moderator

I think garden beds (and soil in general) are the way to go, of course, circumstances oblige. I feel its just easier to manage nutrients and humidity as long as soil is taken care of (with amendments like compost, biochar, mycelium, cover crops)

However, I did hear bout airponics, although have never reallt looked into it..

The green stuff is actually algae, right? While it may be annoying to deal with, I think that’s a blessing in disguise..! But I digress.

Posted : May 9, 2021 6:13 AM
pdubya95
(@pdubya95)
Topic starter

Last year I tried to do kratky which is touted as a set it and forget it method, but I think it almost requires a green house. I kept hauling my buckets in and house of the house and they kept getting rained on, which diluted the solution, making it impossible to regulate nutrients.
This year I’m sticking the ‘maters, cukes and peppers in the soil and going back to the tried and true method.

Posted : May 9, 2021 11:28 AM
(@alogan)

I've found aquponics to be much less maintenance and more fun than the hydro set ups. Roomates and I used to grow herbs out of a window planter sitting on top of a 20 gallon fish tank. With a couple 100 gal tanks in a south facing green room you could potentially produce enough greens for two, create heat via plant transpiration, and hold that heat + captured sun from south facing windows in the water.

Has its downsides, as I do think complex soil is ultimately the way to go, but its definitely a powerful tool and can help utilize awkward spaces.

Posted : June 5, 2021 3:15 AM
FarminTruth
(@farmintruth)
Eminent Member

My super hots are necesseled in the grow tent . Tomatoes , bell peppers and onions start tommorrow. If anyone needs a hand getting started . Reach out please 🙂 

Posted : March 25, 2022 10:17 PM
Share: