Clear all

podcast distribution options

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ulyssesjasonnewcomb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I have started a new podcast. I have 5 episodes in the can. I'm starting to think about how I want to publish this. I'm kind of bored with the same old internet distribution model. Thinking of alternative ways to distribute.

Some ideas I have:

1. Cassette tape exchange network (pros: easy to do. Cons: very unlikely to find listeners)
  2. Pirate radio (pros: it's kind of cool. Cons: requires technical knowledge, threat of fines)
  3. Ham radio (pros: easy to do once set up. Cons: requires knowledge of the hobby)
  4. Torrents (pros: easy. Cons: not very discoverable)

Just spitballing at this stage. Any ideas?

Posted : February 23, 2021 3:59 PM
fifthcolumn
(@fifthcolumn)
Honorable Member

My two cents-

USB drives, instead of cassette tapes... But I guess it depends who your audience is.

Torrents seems cool. You don't want anybody to find your first ones anyway. Your first are never gonna be your best. You'll hafta do less cringing when you get really good. Is there any way to judge interest from a torrent? I just don't know.

I used to think about putting shit up on cable public access channels. If you could get the most basic of video editing skills, you could throw up pictures, documents, whatever you're talking about in the audio.

Good goddamn question, man.

You are far more powerful than they will ever tell you.

Posted : February 23, 2021 4:17 PM
(@ulyssesjasonnewcomb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

USB drives sounds good. I'd thought of it. Might be the way to go.

I do have basic video editing skills. Don't know the first thing about publishing on cable though.

Posted : February 23, 2021 4:28 PM
(@personman)
Trusted Member

ulyssesjasonnewcomb wrote: Don't know the first thing about publishing on cable though.

Public access channels exist in most moderate sized cities. You just have to contact them and find out what their process is/what time slots they have available. I think it's usually your pbs affiliate

Posted : February 23, 2021 5:50 PM
(@ulyssesjasonnewcomb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Ok, I'll check if CBC has anything here in Vancouver.

Posted : February 23, 2021 6:36 PM
fifthcolumn
(@fifthcolumn)
Honorable Member

Oh, dude, what am I thinking?

Get a youtube channel - or one a these other ones - and advertise it here now and again.

Public access TV is hardcore old school. Good for building local following and speaking to local issues... Getting out of the house, you might stumble across some likeminded malcontents... Just thinking... Pros and cons.

You are far more powerful than they will ever tell you.

Posted : February 23, 2021 7:47 PM
(@ulyssesjasonnewcomb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

fifthcolumn wrote: advertise it here now and again.

Sub to my blog in my signature. Everything will be updated there. 🙂

Posted : February 24, 2021 6:38 PM
(@ulyssesjasonnewcomb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hey I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPpvmDXGUTg

Posted : February 25, 2021 2:33 PM
Share: