Clear all

How do you think? Do you hear a voice

19 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@smaaaddy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

So I recently discovered on another forum that not everyone hears a voice when they are thinking or reading.
I hear my own voice...

What about you?

Posted : October 23, 2021 9:45 AM
(@orchid20)
Estimable Member

When I'm reading I'll unconsciously give a different "voice" to the author, no matter what I'm reading. And that author will always have the same voice in my head subsequently, unless I eventually learn the sound of their real voice (which is often so different, it's jarring!)

If I'm not reading I don't hear a voice, though, since I don't think in words it seems.

Posted : October 23, 2021 3:12 PM
(@smaaaddy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

orchid20 wrote:
When I'm reading I'll unconsciously give a different "voice" to the author, no matter what I'm reading. And that author will always have the same voice in my head subsequently, unless I eventually learn the sound of their real voice (which is often so different, it's jarring!)

If I'm not reading I don't hear a voice, though, since I don't think in words it seems.

That is very interesting,

So when you think about a song that you know, do you hear it?

And do you know what you think in? Is it pictures?

Posted : October 23, 2021 3:41 PM
(@justcallmelee)

smaddy wrote:
So I recently discovered on another forum that not everyone hears a voice when they are thinking or reading.
I hear my own voice...

What about you?

Weird. I hear my voice. I’ve always been interested in where that voice generates from in people. For me it feels like it’s behind my throat, almost the same feeling as speaking.

Posted : October 23, 2021 10:05 PM
(@smaaaddy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

justcallmelee wrote:
Weird. I hear my voice. I’ve always been interested in where that voice generates from in people. For me it feels like it’s behind my throat, almost the same feeling as speaking.

Hmm
Mine feels like its coming from inside my head. But sometimes it sounds further away

Posted : October 24, 2021 7:52 AM
(@orchid20)
Estimable Member

This is pretty interesting to think about...

When I think of a song, it will play in my head as a backdrop to my conscious thoughts. Sometimes if the lyrics pertain to an event happening at the time I'll notice them, but usually they are just noise.

When I'm writing I'll hear what I'm writing in my head, in my own voice. What I'm "hearing" comes from my mind, but if I am just moving around, doing things with my hands, driving, taking in scenery, etc. the direction seems to come from somewhere in my chest (my heart?)

Posted : October 24, 2021 1:43 PM
(@sofahkingfoxy)
Estimable Member

This is a fascinating topic to toss around! First, for me, my thoughts in words are in my head. It’s me but I don’t recognize it as my speaking voice nor is it distinct as it is when I "hear" or imagine the sound of, say, my son’s or daughter’s voices. The best description I can come up with is it’s neutral.

When I’m working on some kind of self improvement, especially when it’s psychological, like healing or identifying the source of a trigger, I sometimes have the sense of the presence of a third party. It’s in my head but more towards the back, away from my regular thoughts. It’s an observer that will comment on my thoughts, behaviors, and/or interactions with others. Otherwise it‘s just quietly "seeing" what I’m doing/thinking. This presence is me but feels like it’s a different part of me. My "higher self"? Or maybe it’s simply my thinking perspective switching back & forth from subjective to objective. But still, it feels like it’s its own "entity".

I’ve had other separate-from-me experiences. For several years during my 30’s I could feel the presence (but no thoughts) of an energy inside my body. It resided in my chest and solar plexus. I absolutely identified it as a soul wanting to manifest & be born. It must have eventually given up on me. I never noticed it leave. It was more like me realizing it wasn’t there anymore. Me to self: hey, remember when you used to feel that wannabe baby?

Twice I’ve "heard" another’s voice in my head… in that it wasn’t my own. Once as I was just falling asleep, I "heard" my then husband’s voice in my ear. It was pretty loud and woke me up & set my heart to racing. I was away from home and him. I don’t recall if I told him about it & don’t know what it was about. But I suspect it had something to do with his need to control. 😮

The other time it came from a murder of crows (love it’s called a murder =) that had landed in a huge elm in my yard. I was wondering why they chose my tree. With one collective voice, their answer exploded inside of my head: Just because!
It still makes me chuckle. It was a to-the-point lesson I needed at the time.

Posted : October 24, 2021 4:11 PM
(@sofahkingfoxy)
Estimable Member

orchid20 wrote:
This is pretty interesting to think about...

When I think of a song, it will play in my head as a backdrop to my conscious thoughts. Sometimes if the lyrics pertain to an event happening at the time I'll notice them, but usually they are just noise.

When I'm writing I'll hear what I'm writing in my head, in my own voice. What I'm "hearing" comes from my mind, but if I am just moving around, doing things with my hands, driving, taking in scenery, etc. the direction seems to come from somewhere in my chest (my heart?)

If you’re not reading & writing, are you saying your conscious thoughts drop into your chest or does your thinking in words stop altogether and you experience the present in sensations & feelings alone? Man, that would be cool! People practice a lifetime to get to that.

Either way, that it moves to your chest/heart makes sense since there‘s strong evidence that the heart can retain body memories, or as some say, it has it’s own brain.

Posted : October 24, 2021 4:39 PM
(@smaaaddy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

sofahkingfoxy wrote:
This is a fascinating topic to toss around! First, for me, my thoughts in words are in my head. It’s me but I don’t recognize it as my speaking voice nor is it distinct as it is when I "hear" or imagine the sound of, say, my son’s or daughter’s voices. The best description I can come up with is it’s neutral.

When I’m working on some kind of self improvement, especially when it’s psychological, like healing or identifying the source of a trigger, I sometimes have the sense of the presence of a third party. It’s in my head but more towards the back, away from my regular thoughts. It’s an observer that will comment on my thoughts, behaviors, and/or interactions with others. Otherwise it‘s just quietly "seeing" what I’m doing/thinking. This presence is me but feels like it’s a different part of me. My "higher self"? Or maybe it’s simply my thinking perspective switching back & forth from subjective to objective. But still, it feels like it’s its own "entity".

I’ve had other separate-from-me experiences. For several years during my 30’s I could feel the presence (but no thoughts) of an energy inside my body. It resided in my chest and solar plexus. I absolutely identified it as a soul wanting to manifest & be born. It must have eventually given up on me. I never noticed it leave. It was more like me realizing it wasn’t there anymore. Me to self: hey, remember when you used to feel that wannabe baby?

Twice I’ve "heard" another’s voice in my head… in that it wasn’t my own. Once as I was just falling asleep, I "heard" my then husband’s voice in my ear. It was pretty loud and woke me up & set my heart to racing. I was away from home and him. I don’t recall if I told him about it & don’t know what it was about. But I suspect it had something to do with his need to control. 😮

The other time it came from a murder of crows (love it’s called a murder =) that had landed in a huge elm in my yard. I was wondering why they chose my tree. With one collective voice, their answer exploded inside of my head: Just because!
It still makes me chuckle. It was a to-the-point lesson I needed at the time.

When you 'heard' your husband's voice? Was it a dream or was it real to you? If there's a difference...

Because I recently had a dream where I felt I was awake, I was on my way to sleep in my opinion. Then a voice said something like 'show me your technology'. And I consciously knew there was no one in my room when I got in bed so I said to myself, ignore it, there's no one here...but then it progressed in to a very realistic dream and there was actually this man in my room...in the dream

On the other hand maybe you heard your husband's thoughts?

Its interesting that you feel this third party, listening. I can't say if the far away voice I hear is me or something else, it definitely answers questions though. But not always there...not that I perceive anyway

Posted : October 24, 2021 5:26 PM
(@sofahkingfoxy)
Estimable Member

justcallmelee wrote:

That sounds like you have a pretty strong connection to your throat chakra!

smaddy wrote:
When you 'heard' your husband's voice? Was it a dream or was it real to you? If there's a difference...

Because I recently had a dream where I felt I was awake, I was on my way to sleep in my opinion. Then a voice said something like 'show me your technology'. And I consciously knew there was no one in my room when I got in bed so I said to myself, ignore it, there's no one here...but then it progressed in to a very realistic dream and there was actually this man in my room...in the dream

On the other hand maybe you heard your husband's thoughts?

Its interesting that you feel this third party, listening. I can't say if the far away voice I hear is me or something else, it definitely answers questions though. But not always there...not that I perceive anyway

It definitely wasn’t a dream. I hadn’t been in bed long & was in that drifting off state of neither fully asleep or awake, not REM sleep. It was real enough to give me a pretty good adrenaline rush just like having a real embodied voice assaulting one’s ear drum. Now that you mentioned it, rather than specific thoughts, I think it was his obsessive energy projected out to me. I had slept over at my mother’s. In the morning I told her about it. She didn’t think I imagined it and got a look of concern about it. She never did like or trust him. Unusual because everyone likes him. She should‘ve said something before I married him! lol But I digress.

I don’t know what to make of your dream! Is it considered lucid dreaming? No question on the creepy factor! I once dreamt that I woke up, went into another room and looked out of the window. There was a small battle going on, ppl with guns hiding & running through backyards. It all felt very real & I had to really talk myself into it was a dream. The battle at least couldn’t have possibly been real. Maybe we can slip into a parallel dimension while sleeping.

And maybe you have some kind of spirit adviser hanging around! Lucky. Mine is just boring ol’ me.

Posted : October 24, 2021 6:55 PM
(@smaaaddy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

sofahkingfoxy wrote:
That sounds like you have a pretty strong connection to your throat chakra!

It definitely wasn’t a dream. I hadn’t been in bed long & was in that drifting off state of neither fully asleep or awake, not REM sleep. It was real enough to give me a pretty good adrenaline rush just like having a real embodied voice assaulting one’s ear drum. Now that you mentioned it, rather than specific thoughts, I think it was his obsessive energy projected out to me. I had slept over at my mother’s. In the morning I told her about it. She didn’t think I imagined it and got a look of concern about it. She never did like or trust him. Unusual because everyone likes him. She should‘ve said something before I married him! lol But I digress.

I don’t know what to make of your dream! Is it considered lucid dreaming? No question on the creepy factor! I once dreamt that I woke up, went into another room and looked out of the window. There was a small battle going on, ppl with guns hiding & running through backyards. It all felt very real & I had to really talk myself into it was a dream. The battle at least couldn’t have possibly been real. Maybe we can slip into a parallel dimension while sleeping.

And maybe you have some kind of spirit adviser hanging around! Lucky. Mine is just boring ol’ me.

Re the spiritual advisor - that would be nice
You may not have listened if your mum had said how she felt before you got married!
Have you ever heard anyone else's thoughts in that way?

I don't know about the dream, it was part of a series of very similar creepy dreams. Maybe it was partially lucid, its actually disturbing to think about.

I think you're probably on to something about the other dimensions. Certain periods in my life I've felt in my waking state that I'm slipping into a place I was in a dream, like being in two places at once

Posted : October 24, 2021 7:27 PM
(@orchid20)
Estimable Member

sofahkingfoxy wrote:
If you’re not reading & writing, are you saying your conscious thoughts drop into your chest or does your thinking in words stop altogether and you experience the present in sensations & feelings alone? Man, that would be cool! People practice a lifetime to get to that.

Haha no, I'm just as dense as anyone else... I just don't have a worded narrative in my mind for those tasks that require coordination or spatial processing, like driving or drawing.

Intuition or "hunches" also don't have words.

But if I'm comprehending something or trying to have a new idea I will hear it in my mind, in my own voice.

And as mentioned, my mind voice is not my speaking voice (thankfully), but a softer, more neutral version of it. Though I'm pretty sure it is my own and not somebody else's... I think...:rolleyes:

Posted : October 25, 2021 9:44 PM
(@sofahkingfoxy)
Estimable Member

orchid20 wrote:
Haha no, I'm just as dense as anyone else... I just don't have a worded narrative in my mind for those tasks that require coordination or spatial processing, like driving or drawing.

Then when you’re "doing" you’re completely in Present Moment. I’m pretty sure this is very uncommon! So, when you meditate is your mind in a state of thought chaos? 😉

Posted : November 2, 2021 4:47 PM
 JH
(@jh)
Reputable Member

smaddy wrote:
I hear my own voice...

What about you?

I don't hear a voice. The words are present in a way, but I don't hear them at all. It's very different than if I say, have a song stuck in my head, in that case I basically experience something almost exactly like hearing it directly. Like I pretty much hear Stevie Nicks voice if I just "replay" a Fleetwood Mac song in my head.

Posted : January 5, 2022 2:36 AM
(@smaaaddy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

jh1517 wrote:
I don't hear a voice. The words are present in a way, but I don't hear them at all. It's very different than if I say, have a song stuck in my head, in that case I basically experience something almost exactly like hearing it directly. Like I pretty much hear Stevie Nicks voice if I just "replay" a Fleetwood Mac song in my head.

This is still blowing my mind

What about second languages? Is it the same?

Posted : January 5, 2022 7:28 AM
Page 1 / 2
Share: