19 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@smaaaddy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Just seen this!
https://www.instagram.com/imjustbait/p/CYV_HT2gNpE/?utm_medium=copy_link

Paralysed man posts first ever direct thought tweet. I should ask him if he hears the words first...

Posted : January 5, 2022 10:28 AM
 JH
(@jh)
Reputable Member

smaddy wrote:
This is still blowing my mind

What about second languages? Is it the same?

I had to try it out but it's the same. I speak enough Spanish to get by and took 4 semesters of Russian, but not what I would call super fluent (not good at contemporary idioms and sophisticated constructions). But in both cases different to think "quero mas cervaza" or "я хочу пиво" to myself and to hear "Feliz Navidad" or a Молчат дома song.

Posted : January 5, 2022 3:19 PM
(@smaaaddy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

jh1517 wrote:
I had to try it out but it's the same. I speak enough Spanish to get by and took 4 semesters of Russian, but not what I would call super fluent (not good at contemporary idioms and sophisticated constructions). But in both cases different to think "quero mas cervaza" or "я хочу пиво" to myself and to hear "Feliz Navidad" or a Молчат дома song.

Do you think in English first or do you go straight to the second language?

Posted : January 5, 2022 4:02 PM
 JH
(@jh)
Reputable Member

smaddy wrote:
Do you think in English first or do you go straight to the second language?

When it's something I know well (basic constructions), it's straight to the second language: "я хочу пиво" does not require an itermediate "I want beer", like how most Americans can say/understand "gracias" or "hola" without first thinking "thank you" or "hello". When it's more complicated I have to tease it out from English. From my conversations with really fluent multi-lingual people that say this is similar e.g. they think in English when they are in America and switch to Turkish or Italian or whatever when they are home or with other speakers -- only self-translate when its something they aren't used to.

Posted : January 5, 2022 4:18 PM
Page 2 / 2
Share: