What/How would you ...

Notifications
Clear all

What/How would you improve the forum experience?

25 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
enjoypolo
(@enjoypolo)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xpress-a-theme-and-bridge-for-bringing-wordpress-into-xenforo.6551/reviews

I just stumbled upon this XPress paid-add on that bridges Wordpress & XenForo seamlessly. I’m not an expert in this, but from what I gathered, it seems to solve a lot of the unintegrated parts, including having Wordpress comments posted on Xenforo and keeping it functional.

Maybe something to keep in mind in the future :);)
Although it’s heck of a lot of money for something that looks so simple..

For more details: https://www.themehouse.com/documentation/xpress

Posted : October 21, 2019 6:45 PM
 rani
(@rani)
Reputable Member

Hey EP! Congrats on your new flair, babe! Well deserved!!

Just a clarification. I Don't think we need MORE categories, I think we need to deprecate the existing categories as they are not really active, and I think that's off putting for new members. Like..... Explorers club! Cool.... oh.... no one doing anything..... entrepreneurs.... also dead.... Also theres like 3 categories for 'hey! introduce yourself!'

If you can't bundle them and roll up the posts, maybe just put them down the bottom so the more active stuff sits up top. I think three or four categories should do it. Like you said, the 3D conspiracy, the occult, non-human entities, whatever.

As for linking in the best episodes to a sticky for each category, if you can't scrape the database, maybe crowdsource suggestions for best episodes in each theme?

Posted : October 22, 2019 9:04 PM
(@brngrc)

Hi all,

I just made a search on the forum, and apparently this is the first time someone mentions "Tapatalk" here.

Can we have it set up? It allows you to follow the threads in an easy way on the phone (lets face it, we mostly do stuff on the phone today).

I'm suggesting Tapatalk because it seems to be the standard nowadays, maybe there is an alternative to get notifications for the forum, an an easy to read it on a phone?

this has to be set up by the forum owner, and I think it is free.

Thanks

Posted : October 23, 2019 1:13 PM
enjoypolo
(@enjoypolo)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

brngrc wrote: Hi all,

I just made a search on the forum, and apparently this is the first time someone mentions "Tapatalk" here.

Can we have it set up? It allows you to follow the threads in an easy way on the phone (lets face it, we mostly do stuff on the phone today).

I'm suggesting Tapatalk because it seems to be the standard nowadays, maybe there is an alternative to get notifications for the forum, an an easy to read it on a phone?

Thanks

Never heard of it, but I'll check it out when I have some time later. Thanks for the suggestion

Posted : October 23, 2019 6:05 PM
enjoypolo
(@enjoypolo)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

brngrc wrote: Hi all,

Thanks

Took a look at Tapatalk. I like the idea, but here's why I don't think it's gonna work for/with THC Forum:
1. We already have a forum here. Adding another, distinct platform will only make it more confusing, and scattered.
2. Data security: not big fan of having all members, and the forum being owned by TapATalk either. At least here with Xenforo, Greg is in charge of the network. I think that's less risks too.

However, I like the features that they offer, and I think it would work great if THC didn't already have a forum (or maybe, a sister forum for something THC related). That's just my two-cents.

Speaking of features, I've found some interesting add-ons that would add Tagging capabilities to work on this forum. Some are paid, some seem to work by simply adding a few line of code (requires admin to do so, which I'm not).
Here's one example:

Topics (by Theme House):
https://www.themehouse.com/xenforo/2/addons/topics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuNzqmtrZQw

Here's a look at the code-change for a free-version (although I'm no expert)

Posted : October 28, 2019 10:20 AM
(@brngrc)

I thought Tapatalk was just an add-on to the previous forum...

I use Tapatalk on the mobile for a variety of different forums, and apparently they "support" tapatalk, not really "use" it as the platform.

For example https://www.xda-developers.com/ support Tapatalk, but it doesnt seem that they are using Tapatalk as their platform (maybe I am wrong).

So a different question, is there a way to follow this forum on mobile?

Thanks for your help anyway.

Posted : October 29, 2019 9:40 AM
 rani
(@rani)
Reputable Member

Hey EP - the big question has still not yet been answered.....

Can we open the forum to non-plus members!?

Posted : October 31, 2019 4:08 AM
enjoypolo
(@enjoypolo)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

rani wrote: Hey EP - the big question has still not yet been answered.....

Can we open the forum to non-plus members!?

You know what, I'm not sure about that. It looks like the kind of decision Greg @TheCarlwood should be involved in, since it falls in the category of Plus member perks (at least, at the moment). My only beef about opening the gates to everyone is, the proverbial flood-gates (incl. trolls, saboteurs), but I'm definitely biased towards skepticism.
Having said that, the pros would be, more people involved, and maybe that would be a way to encourage other people to sign up to Plus?

Thanks for the reminder @rani 😉

Edit: Although one thing I noticed in the past weeks/months is a surge/growth in the number of "Guest" users on the forum. I feel as though those are mostly listeners of the free-show who want to have a glimpse at the forum (or not), which may favour opening the forum. Just an observation.

Posted : October 31, 2019 5:56 PM
(@jack_daft)
Estimable Member

Is there a way to do both? Have one aspect of the forum open to everyone and the rest just plus members?

Posted : November 6, 2019 10:55 PM
nickzeptepi
(@nickzeptepi)
Honorable Member

jack_daft wrote: Is there a way to do both? Have one aspect of the forum open to everyone and the rest just plus members?

I'm sure we've mentioned that getting the comments for each show mirrored from the non plus site and this forum would be a fantastic first step.

I like it being non troll, members only. A little bit more promotion, like Gregg mentioning it and interacting s bit more would be beneficial.

Gregg give us some likes at least - show us your read this place more than once in a blue moon...

Consider the forum over at skeptico and Alex's interactions and comments in his show wrap ups.

Posted : November 8, 2019 2:42 AM
Page 2 / 2
Share: