Notifications
Clear all

Trauma Release Exercise

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@leela)
Topic starter

I turned my healing journey into a heart vocation. I spent most of my life with debilitating Complex-PTSD. I tried every form of therapy or treatment I could find from the 1980's until 2015. I would have periods where I would be stable, but ultimately my unresolved trauma kept me on a roller coaster ride of cortisol and adrenaline floods compounded by immune issues. I was at the end of my rope when I read about Trauma Release Exercise (TRE)

It is a series of exercises designed to cause fatigue in major muscle groups that allows the body to switch into a self induced therapeutic tremor. We see this response in animals more often than in humans because it is socialized out of us. In the following video you can see an Impala cycle through a neurogenic freeze state, into a tremoring period and ultimately flee as it's nervous system down regulates into a "can do" state. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAtW7nJUcRA

TRE helps bring about that tremoring state in humans. It, along with a skilled practitioners help, allows the body release build up tension, stress and trauma. I noticed immediate improvement in my sleep patterns, reduction in body pain and feelings of well being after a session. I practiced it for three months before I started to notice substantial changes in my reactivity, anxiety and depression. Over the last three years I have finally had the opportunity to know what life can be like without my nervous system perceiving almost every interaction as a potential threat. This has improved my sleep, body pain, setting of boundaries, improved relationships with friends and family, as well as given me the structure and ability to get trained to teach it to others. It literally saved my life, but more importantly it has improved the quality of my day to day. It has been a blessing for my loved ones too, compassion fatigue was a real issue for them.

Here is my website where you can find out more about TRE, me and healing the nervous system. There are videos demonstrating what the process looks like. I do free 30 minute Skype consults if anyone is interested in learning more. If you think it could help you or someone you care about please reach out. If you are in my area (Atlanta, GA) or an area I travel to, and would like to work with me, we can set up an appointment. If you are out my area. I can help you find a certified practitioner in your area. I could talk trauma recovery all day long, so don't hesitate to reach out. www.theTREmorpath.com

Another cool thing about TRE is: once you learn to how to do it and master self regulation techniques you can do it on your own. Over time the body usually can go into a tremor is you lay down and relax or you can incorporate it into you own exercise routine.

Thanks for listening and thanks for the opportunity to share! All my best~ Leela

Posted : June 24, 2018 4:32 AM
(@hugh-johnson)
Trusted Member

I did some. I could do it for hours, but noticed no effect. I understand that the founder researched this and fold that it works well with recent trauma, but not very well with old trauma. If you do have a way to adapt it to trauma from the past, I would be interested.

Posted : June 24, 2018 3:39 PM
(@leela)
Topic starter

hugh johnson wrote: I did some. I could do it for hours, but noticed no effect. I understand that the founder researched this and fold that it works well with recent trauma, but not very well with old trauma. If you do have a way to adapt it to trauma from the past, I would be interested.

TRE training has been updated to included ways to work with developmental trauma. The technique is the same for shock or developmental trauma, but the amount of time clients work with a provider is longer with developmental trauma. Personally I provide more containment and lessons for building resilience for clients with old trauma. The majority of my trauma took place in the 1970's and I had life changing results with the process. Let me know if you have any more questions. There is also a video on my site by an RN that teaches TRE , she goes into more detail on this subject.

Posted : June 25, 2018 4:02 AM
(@pabaracus)
Eminent Member

It's also worth noting that trauma of any kind changes your physiology, and the longer your physiology has been impaired, the longer it is likely to take to recover. So, as Leela said, it will likely take much longer for you to see any benefit if your trauma is not recent. If the trauma occurred at a specific developmental stage during infancy/childhood then you may need to look a bit deeper at specific milestones of those times and how to reintegrate them. One thing that is often underestimated and misunderstood in relation to trauma is how to undo the physiological adaptations. You need to teach your body how to no longer run on stress hormones. In the simplest terms this is about blood sugar balance, food frequency and providing abundance, rather than scarcity (which is a popular theme in nutrition at the moment). It's ultimately about making the body feel safe so that it has the resources and space to heal. Many current health recommendations (even the alternative ones) are completely at odds with this principle.

Posted : July 23, 2019 3:41 PM
BuRNiTDoWN
(@burnitdown)

I have been in a group on my reservation for 16 months and have at least that many more before I am finished. At the end of this will be the beginning of my real work, in reference to the release work here on Six Nations and specifically in the program I am currently involved with it uses different healing/educational and grounding techniques and modalities paired with release work. Facilitated by a one on worker over these years as well some groups that bring on like minded individuals.
Not only is this at odds with what is happening in western culture everywhere, what we teach and practice here is at risk of disappearing.
Barely hanging on as it is, government interference and funding cuts threaten what we have left.
I am thankful for places like this and people like all of you, people I can talk and share with openly as well to receive and learn new ideas and perspectives... very thankful, ona my friends.

Posted : December 29, 2019 7:36 PM
enjoypolo
(@enjoypolo)
Member Moderator

burnitdown wrote: I have been in a group on my reservation for 16 months and have at least that many more before I am finished. At the end of this will be the beginning of my real work, in reference to the release work here on Six Nations and specifically in the program I am currently involved with it uses different healing/educational and grounding techniques and modalities paired with release work. Facilitated by a one on worker over these years as well some groups that bring on like minded individuals.
Not only is this at odds with what is happening in western culture everywhere, what we teach and practice here is at risk of disappearing.
Barely hanging on as it is, government interference and funding cuts threaten what we have left.
I am thankful for places like this and people like all of you, people I can talk and share with openly as well to receive and learn new ideas and perspectives... very thankful, ona my friends.

That's very valuable work you're doing, mate. Are there ways of documenting and archiving the techniques, testimonies and work you are involved with?

Lately, I have been reading books like Cosmic Serpent and Intelligence in Nature, both by Jeremy Narby, an anthropologist who's had life-changing experiences in the Amazons. Every time, I am in awe of the stories shared by the various people there. First-hand experiences talking with Nature Spirits (called Yoshi or Maninkari) through rituals; the co-existence and camaraderie between all species, and how much of it is constantly under threat with "modernisation", although there are many inspiring projects that now promote collaborative educational community work between those who hold these traditional customs, and the cultural hybrids who have a foot in both worlds, building bridges that weave ancient and modern ways of living.:rolleyes:

Posted : December 30, 2019 9:57 AM
BuRNiTDoWN
(@burnitdown)

I know it takes content, material, documented events, witnesses to make these claims real I am a skeptic just the same as I believe in what I am learning and have learned through my life to the current moment in time. Having been a search myself for secrets and answers I now find myself surrounded by people like minded and in some cases further down the path, therefore having some knowledge I do not.
I am working on a few projects and have been for some time, that is the only way to gain credibility among my peers and in my community specifically.
There are written accounts and documents about many native North American tribes but a lot of the history is kept oral and much of it wothing the longhouse confederacy system of my people. All of this considered ot has been a long journey of mine to where I am now and I am taking the necessary steps to ok my work as well show my respect to my elders . These being my elders in my community if not taken the proper steps one could find themselves very easily on the outside of said community.
Many are worried about ppl taking advantage and monetizing our teachings and ceremonies as well using for wrong reasons. Let's not forget the 500 years of whatever you want to call the Europeans systematically wiping the tribes, teachings, and ceremonies from history.
I have seen and experienced some of the teachings and the power it can possess when used properly by the right people under the proper circumstances. Certainly a delicate matter as well very sensitive and real knowledge, teachings.
Our ceremonies and beliefs being the opposite of the kabal, elite Greg highlights in these shows. Ours being for good and giving thanks to try and help others and attain the higher spiritual conciousness that exists without question In our belief systems. Life is so amazing and beautiful, simple yet layered and slightly complex at the same time hard to understand I know but this is our reality. What some, maybe most dismiss as fake, not real, the spiritual or higher conscious ability to move through dimensions and communicate we give thanks for everyday. Without question a part of ourselves and our history, all humans.
All of this being said I know the frustration that comes with someone saying to just believe or have patience I have been there. I am personally working on some tangible writings in the proper way with the appropriate permissions.

Posted : January 2, 2020 12:26 AM
Share: