Clear all

Salut! from rural Florida

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Lana
(@lana)
Topic starter

Working the land in winter when temperature swings between 29 and 80F is tricky.

Posted : January 7, 2021 7:07 PM
(@jack_daft)
Estimable Member

Welcome aboard! Those temps fluctuation day by day or seasonal?

Posted : January 7, 2021 10:49 PM
 jf
(@jf)

Hi lana, I am new here too. Welcome! What do you mean specifically when you say "working the land"? I don't have too much experience with the rural lifestyle, but I am interested to hear about it.

Posted : January 8, 2021 4:14 PM
 Lana
(@lana)
Topic starter

jack_daft wrote: Welcome aboard! Those temps fluctuation day by day or seasonal?

They can be in one day! In winter when we get rain it can be in the 70’s but when the front passes drop to below freezing that night! Struggling with keeping my bananas, mangos and passion vines alive by covering them with each drop.

Posted : January 8, 2021 6:30 PM
 Lana
(@lana)
Topic starter

jonframe wrote: Hi lana, I am new here too. Welcome! What do you mean specifically when you say "working the land"? I don't have too much experience with the rural lifestyle, but I am interested to hear about it.

I’m just beginning to work with 5 acres of oaks, pines and marsh where there are sunny openings in the canopy to plant vegetables and fruit trees. My first winter. I have a camper van. The property had a well and electricity. I had a good crop of sweet potatoes, buckwheat, and Florida spinach last summer. The mangoes, bananas, and passion vines are struggling to stay alive now that the temperatures are dipping down to freezing. I cover them when its cold. Broccoli and carrots have no problem with the cold. So I’m learning as I go. My end game is to be self sufficient within 10 years.

Posted : January 8, 2021 6:40 PM
(@jack_daft)
Estimable Member

Very cool. I grow a garden every year but this seems a great deal more invested. Good luck this winter.

Posted : January 8, 2021 9:54 PM
Share: