Clear all

Weird story out of Myanmar

16 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kjahsdkfha)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

One of our friends just lost his brother - supposedly from covid - while working as a missionary in Myanmar. The family didn't know he was sick or going into the hospital prior to receiving the news of his passing, and the body was cremated without contacting the family, however, they mailed the family one finger ?? His family buys the covid story 100% but my boyfriend and I were immediately thinking this sounds super shady because they could've done anything with his body and called it covid. Terrible story and we'll never get real answers but wanted to share because I'm sure this is happening a lot

Posted : July 29, 2021 11:55 PM
nickzeptepi
(@nickzeptepi)
Honorable Member

AlienneSlam wrote:
One of our friends just lost his brother - supposedly from covid - while working as a missionary in Myanmar. The family didn't know he was sick or going into the hospital prior to receiving the news of his passing, and the body was cremated without contacting the family, however, they mailed the family one finger ?? His family buys the covid story 100% but my boyfriend and I were immediately thinking this sounds super shady because they could've done anything with his body and called it covid. Terrible story and we'll never get real answers but wanted to share because I'm sure this is happening a lot

I'm sure it is not happening alot

Posted : July 30, 2021 12:29 AM
(@kjahsdkfha)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

nickzeptepi wrote:
I'm sure it is not happening alot

Perhaps not (I hope it's not) but plenty of people have been marked as covid deaths when they weren't so, even if we can't do much, sharing stories regarding this stuff is important. Current covid protocols open the doors for endless nonsense like this. Maybe it's normal for hospitals in Myanmar to cremate the body and send the family a finger bone? As a missionary he was technically there on business so they should've been able to contact the family. At the end of the day it is what it is, and hopefully it is just a one off story, but it doesn't sit right with me.

Posted : July 30, 2021 2:32 AM
 JH
(@jh)
Reputable Member

What age/shape was he in?....

Unless he was 60+ and/or had serious health conditions (which would probably have prevented him being a missionary) the prior probability he actually died of Covid is so low I think you suspicions of foul play are probably warranted.

Posted : July 30, 2021 2:36 AM
(@smaaaddy)
Reputable Member

I'd be suspicious as well.
First thing find out if its normal for them to send a finger and go from there
Why couldn't they send the ashes?

Posted : July 30, 2021 8:26 AM
(@kjahsdkfha)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

jh1517 wrote:
What age/shape was he in?....

Unless he was 60+ and/or had serious health conditions (which would probably have prevented him being a missionary) the prior probability he actually died of Covid is so low I think you suspicions of foul play are probably warranted.

He was only in his 40's with kids at home 🙁 and I would assume if he was traveling internationally that he had been vaccinated - his brother (our friend) is. Not that being vaccinated actually matters/protects anyone, but it's the game we're in so worth mentioning. I know most of my research will be futile as his family is accepting of the covid diagnosis (our friend called us "deep" for questioning beyond covid, which was kind of alarming because it seems like the normal thing to do) but I am going to do what I can to try and find out about the finger and cremation. Thanks for the confirmations!

Posted : July 30, 2021 12:33 PM
 JH
(@jh)
Reputable Member

AlienneSlam wrote:
He was only in his 40's with kids at home 🙁 and I would assume if he was traveling internationally that he had been vaccinated - his brother (our friend) is. Not that being vaccinated actually matters/protects anyone, but it's the game we're in so worth mentioning. I know most of my research will be futile as his family is accepting of the covid diagnosis (our friend called us "deep" for questioning beyond covid, which was kind of alarming because it seems like the normal thing to do) but I am going to do what I can to try and find out about the finger and cremation. Thanks for the confirmations!

Yeah, him dying of covid is about like winning $20,000 on a scratch lottery ticket odds. Very suspicious.

He also could have died of some other local disease and they just lump it together to maybe get WHO money?

Posted : July 30, 2021 12:44 PM
(@kjahsdkfha)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

jh1517 wrote:
Yeah, him dying of covid is about like winning $20,000 on a scratch lottery ticket odds. Very suspicious.

He also could have died of some other local disease and they just lump it together to maybe get WHO money?

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's suspicious. I've heard a lot of crazy covid stories over the past year, but this is the first one that's really made me stop in my tracks.

Good point about the WHO money - that is very very possible, but I still don't understand why his missionary co-workers didn't contact the family when he fell ill? One would think there would be emergency contact protocols in place for someone working internationally as a missionary.

Upon the first five minutes of research I found that Myanmar has had a social uprising all year where many innocent bystanders have been killed, so that's a possibility. Also, according to wikipedia, the protestors have been using the Hunger Games three finger salute and his family received one finger?? Totally just free associating with the finger stuff, but it's a weird connection. I also read that Myanmar is considered a dangerous place for Christians and they're often persecuted and denied access to community services such as water. Overall not looking good for this poor man. 🙁

Posted : July 30, 2021 1:03 PM
(@kjahsdkfha)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Well this says a lot. I don't trust mainstream news sources and clearly this article is still pushing the covid narrative, but it also seems to be covering the tracks of the inhumane conditions currently taking place over there.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2021-07-30/activists-allege-myanmar-leaders-are-weaponizing-covid-19

Posted : July 30, 2021 1:28 PM
nickzeptepi
(@nickzeptepi)
Honorable Member

AlienneSlam wrote:
Perhaps not (I hope it's not) but plenty of people have been marked as covid deaths when they weren't so, even if we can't do much, sharing stories regarding this stuff is important. Current covid protocols open the doors for endless nonsense like this. Maybe it's normal for hospitals in Myanmar to cremate the body and send the family a finger bone? As a missionary he was technically there on business so they should've been able to contact the family. At the end of the day it is what it is, and hopefully it is just a one off story, but it doesn't sit right with me.

Are you american?

Posted : July 31, 2021 12:51 AM
nickzeptepi
(@nickzeptepi)
Honorable Member

AlienneSlam wrote:
Well this says a lot. I don't trust mainstream news sources and clearly this article is still pushing the covid narrative, but it also seems to be covering the tracks of the inhumane conditions currently taking place over there.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2021-07-30/activists-allege-myanmar-leaders-are-weaponizing-covid-19

All goverments are using the pandemic to consolidate power and control, especially the USA and UK.

Yes I would expect them to notify the embassy and the embassy in turn to notify the family, if it's all shut down that might take longer than it does to cremate a body - normal in buddhist countres and saving a finger I would say is normal in Myanmar - I have been and seen all sorts of dead artifacts in holy shrines etc.

Please have a look at this its enlightening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0bC6CAtfBE

Posted : July 31, 2021 12:56 AM
(@kjahsdkfha)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

nickzeptepi wrote:
All goverments are using the pandemic to consolidate power and control, especially the USA and UK.

Yes I would expect them to notify the embassy and the embassy in turn to notify the family, if it's all shut down that might take longer than it does to cremate a body - normal in buddhist countres and saving a finger I would say is normal in Myanmar - I have been and seen all sorts of dead artifacts in holy shrines etc.

Please have a look at this its enlightening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0bC6CAtfBE

Do you have any references or anything to point to that can demonstrate how sending the family a finger bone is "normal" in Myanmar? According to all of my research, the cremation does in fact seem normal, but like smaddy mentioned earlier, why then wouldn't they send the family all of the ashes? The finger would have had to be removed prior to cremation as fingers and toes are typically wired together as they will pop off in the high temperatures, not to mention that there would have only been bone fragments left post-cremation, not a solid finger bone. Perhaps you are playing the devil's advocate role here, but, personally, I feel as though the innocent victims of the world's atrocities need more defending right now.

Posted : July 31, 2021 2:36 PM
nickzeptepi
(@nickzeptepi)
Honorable Member

http://cloudmind.info/religion-26-unusual-death-rituals-from-around-the-world/

7. Ritual Finger Amputation

3_Indonesian tribe amputates In West Papua, New Guinea, when a loved one passed on, the Dani people used to cut off their own fingers. When the eldest male of the house dies any women and children related to the deceased had to cut off fingers. They would tie them together and then cut them off with an axe. The Tradition Before amputation, they will tie a string tightly around the upper half of their finger for 30 minutes, allowing it to go numb for a (near) painless removal. Often it is a close family member—sibling or parent—who cuts the finger. After removal, the open sores are cauterized, both to prevent bleeding and in order to form new-callused fingertips. Finger cutting is said to be symbolic of the pain suffered after losing a loved one. They cut off their fingers because they believed it would please and chase away the spirits. Also it provided physical pain as a way to mourn Beliefs This ritual is now banned, but was allegedly practiced to drive away spirits as well as to use physical pain as a form of expression. The amputated flesh was then dried and burned to ashes or stored in a sacred place.

I know it's not Myanmar butits possible, plus finger is easier to cut off, can check fingerprint, Buddhist don't consider the body as the I am, so to send ashes would be considered very unusual, your projecting western sensibilities onto a primative culture in a time of great hardship.

Posted : July 31, 2021 11:08 PM
nickzeptepi
(@nickzeptepi)
Honorable Member

7. Ritual Finger Amputation 3_Indonesian tribe amputates In West Papua, New Guinea, when a loved one passed on, the Dani people used to cut off their own fingers. When the eldest male of the house dies any women and children related to the deceased had to cut off fingers. They would tie them together and then cut them off with an axe. The Tradition Before amputation, they will tie a string tightly around the upper half of their finger for 30 minutes, allowing it to go numb for a (near) painless removal. Often it is a close family member—sibling or parent—who cuts the finger. After removal, the open sores are cauterized, both to prevent bleeding and in order to form new-callused fingertips. Finger cutting is said to be symbolic of the pain suffered after losing a loved one. They cut off their fingers because they believed it would please and chase away the spirits. Also it provided physical pain as a way to mourn Beliefs This ritual is now banned, but was allegedly practiced to drive away spirits as well as to use physical pain as a form of expression. The amputated flesh was then dried and burned to ashes or stored in a sacred place.

Posted : August 1, 2021 12:14 AM
(@smaaaddy)
Reputable Member

nickzeptepi wrote:
http://cloudmind.info/religion-26-unusual-death-rituals-from-around-the-world/

7. Ritual Finger Amputation

3_Indonesian tribe amputates In West Papua, New Guinea, when a loved one passed on, the Dani people used to cut off their own fingers. When the eldest male of the house dies any women and children related to the deceased had to cut off fingers. They would tie them together and then cut them off with an axe. The Tradition Before amputation, they will tie a string tightly around the upper half of their finger for 30 minutes, allowing it to go numb for a (near) painless removal. Often it is a close family member—sibling or parent—who cuts the finger. After removal, the open sores are cauterized, both to prevent bleeding and in order to form new-callused fingertips. Finger cutting is said to be symbolic of the pain suffered after losing a loved one. They cut off their fingers because they believed it would please and chase away the spirits. Also it provided physical pain as a way to mourn Beliefs This ritual is now banned, but was allegedly practiced to drive away spirits as well as to use physical pain as a form of expression. The amputated flesh was then dried and burned to ashes or stored in a sacred place.

I know it's not Myanmar butits possible, plus finger is easier to cut off, can check fingerprint, Buddhist don't consider the body as the I am, so to send ashes would be considered very unusual, your projecting western sensibilities onto a primative culture in a time of great hardship.

Old rituals and body parts in shrines really does not answer the question at hand. This is an international world, I'm sure many foreigners have died there, nothing you have posted verifies that it is normal practice to send the finger of a foreigner, especially since its a practice that is even banned for local people..
Nothing to do with projecting western sensibilities, there are shrines and tombs in churches all over Europe with various body parts of ancient saints.
Totally separate issue

The missionary organisation should be able to answer these questions to be honest

Posted : August 1, 2021 10:52 AM
Page 1 / 2
Share: