Clear all

Employee Mask Mandate

16 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jeframpton)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Well, they are bringing them back.. I work for a smaller corporation that has been a nice getaway from COVID precautions. The boss is vaxed and has made a few comments but no measures in place for the couple months I’ve been there. On the way out the door today, I saw a notice that masks are required tomorrow. I’m really sick of this shit and it feels like a disservice to walk in and consent. On the other hand, I’m not trying to get into a heated debate about health exemptions just to lose my job with the idea of legal action. Anyone got similar stories or experiences that you know of? As fucked up as all this health tyranny is, there is an opposite piss-poor way of facing it. Is Masking a hill worth dying for?

Posted : August 2, 2021 8:54 PM
 JH
(@jh)
Reputable Member

Nose-exposed/chin-daiper is always an option for passive resistence if you can't afford to leave the job

Posted : August 2, 2021 10:18 PM
 JH
(@jh)
Reputable Member

Also, bitch about it when given the opportunity, managers actually do pick up on that kind of thing and it does matter more than you realize

Posted : August 2, 2021 10:19 PM
(@jeframpton)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

jh1517 wrote:
Also, bitch about it when given the opportunity, managers actually do pick up on that kind of thing and it does matter more than you realize

Yeah I think that’s my best option. I know he needs me there so he probably won’t be to keen to police where it is on my face. We’ll see. Unfortunately, I think his beliefs will probably get in the way of any sort of dialogue. Better then looking for a job and pursuing a minor lawsuit.
I’ll see what tomorrow brings

Posted : August 2, 2021 11:42 PM
(@smaaaddy)
Reputable Member

I've been working from home this whole time. Couple of people have gone in to the office now and again and when we have Team calls, theres a circus around masks being on and off. I think the consensus is you have it on in the office unless you're talking...

I'll have to wear it next week when I go in. And we are having drinks, I'll have to go along with the whole performance

Posted : August 3, 2021 7:00 AM
 JH
(@jh)
Reputable Member

smaddy wrote:
I've been working from home this whole time. Couple of people have gone in to the office now and again and when we have Team schools, theres a circus around masks being on and off. I think the consensus is you have it on in the office unless you're talking...

I'll have to wear it next week when I go in. And we are having drinks, I'll have to go along with the whole performance

When I went in to my office, the etiquette appeared to be:

Alone in office, door shut, no mask

Alone in office, door open, mask on chin

Walking around office where people can see you, mask on, nose outside

Talking to someone, mask on chin

People in office together, masks off

eating lunch together all well withing six feet of each other, no masks...

These were healthcare scientists and MDs at the top of their fields, everyone knew it was a total joke, but no one would say a thing (except me and then everyone turned beet red). I don't know if it was more Stalinist, or late era pre-collapse soviet union. Let's hope it was the latter.

Posted : August 3, 2021 12:48 PM
(@tacosalad)
Eminent Member

It sounds like the norm in these offices is that people have it off or pulled down when they're talking. So they are outright proving to be hypocrites who don't believe or just don't care in the "science" by taking it off at exactly the time the spread of droplets is highest?? So why bother at all? My main take away here is all of these people are hypocrites.

Posted : August 3, 2021 6:29 PM
 JH
(@jh)
Reputable Member

tacosalad wrote:
It sounds like the norm in these offices is that people have it off or pulled down when they're talking. So they are outright proving to be hypocrites who don't believe or just don't care in the "science" by taking it off at exactly the time the spread of droplets is highest?? So why bother at all? My main take away here is all of these people are hypocrites.

Yes. They are shameless hypocrites. Point it out to them and you just get a blank stare and they go right along...

Posted : August 3, 2021 7:05 PM
(@jeframpton)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Well, choked down my pride and muzzled up again. Everything that has been discussed in this thread is basically how my day went. Hypocrite had to remind me to put it back on after taking a drink. Going to breaks and lunches I saw him sitting at his desk unmasked. It’s almost comical how people have picked what CDC advice they will use to appear virtuous.
The most baffling takeaway is how quickly masking has been normalized. Only one other person wore his mask down the whole day. No one seemed to mind the extra layer of isolation.
Thanks for the responses, just more drive to do the internal work and get off this path.

Posted : August 3, 2021 8:55 PM
 JH
(@jh)
Reputable Member

jeframpton wrote:
Thanks for the responses, just more drive to do the internal work and get off this path.

Do what grinding you have to plan and set up to escape. That should probably be everybody who's sane's modus operandi right now with the way things are going.

Posted : August 3, 2021 9:27 PM
(@tacosalad)
Eminent Member

They pick and choose what to follow because most of their concern is not being ostracized, not standing out, not getting called out, or lumped in with the "untouchables." Either they don't believe it actually works, or they don't actually care about anyone getting sick. Either way, I'd take a mask mandate over a jabaroo mandate any day of the week. There are leagues of difference between something that could possibly disable or kill me, and a mask.

Posted : August 4, 2021 6:26 AM
(@tacosalad)
Eminent Member

As for it being normalized and people not minding the isolation, a friend of mine told me she actually likes it sometimes when she's feeling socially anxious. She doesn't have to see other people's faces or them see hers and have to deal with people. It does make sense in that regard.

And some people have said they like not having to wear makeup. That I find more ridiculous because it only shows they can't deal with not appearing perfect to other people. As if people don't have a choice to not wear makeup and conform to societal bullshit. But many women don't feel they have a choice, so they are relieved that the mask takes away the need. I say all this as someone who has had to wear an N95 into some stores and movie theaters for the last five years, because I'm severely allergic to the noxious fragrances and scented laundry products, so I am beyond giving a fuck what anyone thinks of my face! XD XD

Posted : August 4, 2021 6:31 AM
(@smaaaddy)
Reputable Member

tacosalad wrote:
As for it being normalized and people not minding the isolation, a friend of mine told me she actually likes it sometimes when she's feeling socially anxious. She doesn't have to see other people's faces or them see hers and have to deal with people. It does make sense in that regard.

And some people have said they like not having to wear makeup. That I find more ridiculous because it only shows they can't deal with not appearing perfect to other people. As if people don't have a choice to not wear makeup and conform to societal bullshit. But many women don't feel they have a choice, so they are relieved that the mask takes away the need. I say all this as someone who has had to wear an N95 into some stores and movie theaters for the last five years, because I'm severely allergic to the noxious fragrances and scented laundry products, so I am beyond giving a fuck what anyone thinks of my face! XD XD

Yh at first I liked the anonymity of the mask but I got past that fairly quickly. I really really need to read people's whole face, I think its important to human beings in general but I realise it unnerves me to a point of almost irritating to not be able to get a full picture of how a stranger is feeling in a moment. It makes it harder to assess danger.

And concerning make up and imperfect faces I don't wear it but I am super weary of getting spots round the mouth cos of the mask

Posted : August 4, 2021 6:44 AM
(@tacosalad)
Eminent Member

smaddy wrote:
Yh at first I liked the anonymity of the mask but I got past that fairly quickly. I really really need to read people's whole face, I think its important to human beings in general but I realise it unnerves me to a point of almost irritating to not be able to get a full picture of how a stranger is feeling in a moment. It makes it harder to assess danger.

And concerning make up and imperfect faces I don't wear it but I am super weary of getting spots round the mouth cos of the mask

Oh, I feel the same way about everyone else wearing a mask! I hate not seeing people's faces for the same reasons, and I'm finding myself getting very irritated and bitter about it in public!

Posted : August 4, 2021 6:47 AM
(@smaaaddy)
Reputable Member

tacosalad wrote:
Oh, I feel the same way about everyone else wearing a mask! I hate not seeing people's faces for the same reasons, and I'm finding myself getting very irritated and bitter about it in public!

Adds to me not wanting to go outside. Now in the UK the mandate has been lifted so only the most virtuous, of course, are still wearing them. Still a lot of people

Posted : August 4, 2021 6:50 AM
Page 1 / 2
Share: