Clear all

Clinical Trial Info

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@fujenly)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Does anyone know the answer to this or know where I can get this info? I had forgotten about the fact that some folks are getting a placebo, right?--because this is still in trial phase? Is it half of everyone who signs up? If I'm correct they went to Phase 3 before mass distribution - are they still in Phase 3? I don't think my friends or family are aware that they might be getting a placebo.

Posted : June 23, 2021 9:17 PM
jdaneway
(@jdaneway)
Trusted Member

No. The placebos were given during clinical trials. They will continue various clinical trials for some time. Like there's one starting to study people who have allergic reactions to the vaccines - very specific people who've had allergic reactions and sign up for another one. Ha! Most vaccines currently being distributed are under an emergency use authorization - not a clinical trial. That just means it's not yet approved, but there are no other approved options available and there's a public health threat. Pfizer at least has submitted for final approval based on clinical trial data they already collected during their clinical trial phases (that may take anywhere from 3 to 11 more months). Pfizer can also submit, or FDA can use, VAERS data and data pulls from hospitals and large sources of medical record information for vaccine Adverse Events given under emergency use - not part of the clinical trials. Your friends and family will not get a placebo, unless they sign up for a clinical trial. They would know they are in a clinical trial because they would have to meet eligibility criteria, have a lengthy consent process, and get the vaccine at most likely a University or under a physician operating the clinical trial as the principal investigator - not CVS or Walgreens. If they are in doubt, they can always look up the investigator on clinicaltrials.gov .

Posted : June 26, 2021 10:27 PM
(@fujenly)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks. I'd seen a post with a claim that some people are getting a placebo. Maybe they meant secretly.

Posted : June 27, 2021 7:02 PM
jdaneway
(@jdaneway)
Trusted Member

fujenly wrote:
Thanks. I'd seen a post with a claim that some people are getting a placebo. Maybe they meant secretly.

Nah. I doubt it. The pharmas would like to not have to have a placebo group at all. No comparison is better for them.
Novavax has a new vaccine still in clinical trials. Again, though, you'd know if you were in a clinical trial, and they'd tell you, you might receive a placebo and we won't tell you until the study is over whether you got the real jab or a placebo. The point is, don't join a clinical trial, and you won't get a placebo.
Good luck. If your family gets it, I hope it goes well for them. Stay safe and be well.

Posted : June 30, 2021 3:26 PM
Share: