Clear all

The Awesome Film Megapost

113 Posts
23 Users
5 Likes
(@shamangineer)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Okay folks so I am a bit of a film buff and have seen a lot of crazy movies, TV shows, documentaries, ect. But I think so have many on this site. Lets recommend stuff we have liked or at least found interesting. I could see trolls roaming and posting complete junk, so to cut down on that I propose a short post format (to at least show that the person posting is capable of understanding the preceding sentence and following format).

Post format:

Title: (insert title here)
Year: (19XX-20XX)
Synopsis: (summarize the movie, or your favorite parts, whatever might have been relevant to a THC episode, ect.)

Trailer: (link if available)
For the full movie: (Link or describe how you found it or where to find it)

Posted : August 14, 2016 1:53 PM
(@shamangineer)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Title: The Secret Life of Plants
Year: 1978
Synopsis: Based on the book The Secret Life of Plants, Tompkins and Bird, 1973. It can be described as "A fascinating account of the physical, emotional, and spiritual relations between plants and man." Essentially, the subject of the book is the idea that plants may be sentient, despite their lack of a nervous system and a brain. This sentience is observed primarily through changes in the plant's conductivity, as through a polygraph, as pioneered by Cleve Backster. The book also contains a summary of Goethe's theory of plant metamorphosis.

That said, this book is about much more than just plants; it delves quite deeply into such topics as the aura, psychophysics, orgone, radionics, kirlian photography, magnetism/magnetotropism, bioelectrics, dowsing, and the history of science. Soundtrack especially recorded by Stevie Wonder.

Trailer: No trailer, but if this Stevie Wonder music video from the film doesn't make you want to watch it I don't know what will: Stevie Wonder ~ The Secret Life Of Plants
For the full movie: The Secret Life of Plants FULL

Posted : August 14, 2016 2:04 PM
(@shamangineer)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Title: Free energy of Tesla.
Year: 2012? maybe 2014?
Synopsis: A docudrama based on the historical and legendary aspects of Nikola Tesla. Great special effects, pretty good acting, and the actor they got for Tesla looks spot on in my opinion. Obviously there is some stuff put in that is plot-driven like the reporter depicted, but overall a great intro into the more controversial aspects of Tesla's story.

Trailer: Tesla Free Energy Documentary Trailer (International - no speech, although with mood music)
For the full movie: Free energy of Tesla. Film (Dubbed into English).

Posted : August 14, 2016 2:39 PM
(@shamangineer)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Title: The Mindscape of Alan Moore
Year: 2005
Synopsis: Filmmaker DeZ Vylenz presents a portrait of the artist as a contemporary shaman with this documentary delving into the fascinating world of acclaimed writer, graphic novelist, and performer Alan Moore. Beginning with a detailed exploration of the artist's childhood, Moore himself guides the viewer though the evolution of his career as he transforms public preconceptions about the common comic book while highlighting how spirituality, science, and society are all part of the same spectacular universe. Through careful manipulation of language, symbols, and images, Moore strives for nothing less than a complete metamorphosis of public consciousness. For anyone who has ever read his work or seen his art, this documentary offers riveting insight into the mind of the influential author who gave us The Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and From Hell. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi

Trailer: The Mindscape of Alan Moore - Documentary trailer
For the full movie: The Mindscape of Alan Moore

Posted : August 14, 2016 2:58 PM
(@shamangineer)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Title: The Serpent and the Rainbow
Year: 1988
Synopsis: The film is based on Wade Davis' non-fiction book of the same name - Davis had agreed to sell the rights for the book on the condition that Peter Weir would direct and Mel Gibson would star in the film. However, neither Weir or Gibson would be involved in the project. Wes Craven eventually signed on as the film's director. The Serpent and the Rainbow was a first person narrative of Wade Davis' experiences in Haiti. Rather than a single dangerous expedition as depicted in the film, Davis in fact took several uneventful trips to Haiti in the 1970s and '80s, researching both the zombie legends and the drugs associated with Voodoo. He eventually came across the case of Clairvius Narcisse, who was poisoned and appeared dead due to ingestion of tetrodotoxin. After a mock funeral, Narcisse was unburied by a voodoo priest and given a brew derived from Datura stramonium, which he claimed had mind control properties.

Narcisse's narrative does not depict the zombie potion as a powder blown into the victim's face, but rather as a mixture placed in food (in the film, a mention is made that the zombie potion in food would kill its victim). Davis did discover several other Voodoo powders, including stories consistent with the involuntary dosing of scopolamine, an alkaloid found in datura. The scopolamine drugs were stated to be blown onto a victim, thereafter facilitating behavior control, but not the appearance of death.

The character of Captain Dargent Peytraud is loosely based on Luckner Cambronne, who was second-in-command to François Duvalier and the commander of the Tonton Macoutes during the reign of Duvalier. Wade Davis would later claim that he in fact had little trouble with the Haitian authorities, in stark contrast to Doctor Alan's horrific encounters in the film, and that the greatest obstacle to Davis' research was in fact Customs and Immigration through which Davis frequently encountered difficulties bringing back foreign grown plants and live animals to the United States.

Trailer: The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988) - Official Trailer
For the full movie: rent or buy. I suggest rent, although the book might be worth buying. The Serpent and the Rainbow Blu-Ray Rant & Review

Posted : August 14, 2016 3:14 PM
(@shamangineer)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Title: The Holy Mountain
Year: 1973
Synopsis: In a corrupt, greed-fueled world, a powerful alchemist leads a Christ-like character and seven materialistic figures to the Holy Mountain, where they hope to achieve enlightenment. There is truly no description that can capture the Holy Mountian, it is something that must be experienced.

For instance this art is based off a few-second scene in the Holy Mountian:

Trailer: The Holy Mountain (Official Trailer)- Alejandro Jodorowsky
For the full movie: Rent or buy. The Holy Mountain REVIEW and ANALYSIS (Spoiler Alert)

Posted : August 14, 2016 3:25 PM
(@diogenes)
Eminent Member

great picks so far! plus some i don't recognize which is always exciting.

i don't think there are any trolls on this obscure, paid subscription only forum!

so i'm going to screw the format and just post.

i'm happy to see this kind of topic on the forum though, i was just thinking about making a documentaries thread.

so let's start there;

DOCUMENTARIES!

a) Hands on a Hard Body.

this trailer sums it up exactly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzj-vb7Lj0A

this movie is crazy, hilarious, amazing, low budget. it's a documentary about a contest held in Texas, where winners of a drawing held at a car dealership, compete to win a hard-body pickup truck. they do so by keeping one or more hands in contact with the truck, at all times. must not sleep or lean on the truck, must remain standing.

so basically they sleep deprive a bunch of desperate people and film the results of the contest.

it's amazing, it's decently made, but more so it's just a hilarious and moving and sad portrayal of 90's USA.

it's great to watch with friends, you laugh at the weirdos then you feel really bad when they get eliminated and wander off into the darkness in their rocky and bullwinkle slippers and sleep shirt after being eliminated after 50 hours for accidental hand removal.

b) Samsara (and the others in the series, baraka, and quianquatsi

samsara is fucked up.

if i could choose one movie to show to aliens, about humans, this would be it.

it is (or almost is) wordless, language-less, it's about human beings, their crazy cultures/ceremonies/traditions/landscapes, and the visual aspects of those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp967YAAdNk

i'd recommend getting high AF and watching it, but also watching it sober will make you feel high AF.

c) Making A Murderer

i don't know where to begin here.

d) The Wolfpack

what would happen if you migrated to the united states, got a job and manhattan apartment, and refused to let your numerous male children leave the apartment, only perceiving the outer world through the lens of movies? then they, for fun, dress up in shitty cosplay and re-film the movies in the apartment acting themselves? well luckily some crazy asshole did this and we can see the results.

i felt bad watching this movie but i couldn't stop. it's not a total downer though, no spoilers tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDbqcMfUdlI

e) The Devil's Playground

i never knew this til i saw this movie, but when amish kids turn 16 they are allowed to leave their community on a 6 month period, and life life in what they call "the English world". this is basically just the not-amish USA.

it's called a Rumpspringa .

after you have your R-springa you can decide one of two things ;

1) reject the English world and re-join your Amish community, pledging allegiance forever.

2) reject the Amish world and stay in the English world. if you do this all your family and friends will banish and disown you, and if you come back to the Amish alter they won't let you in again. you missed your chance and made your choice.

some of the kids go back.

some become meth dealers, video game obsessed party animals, total rebellion.

Posted : August 15, 2016 7:03 AM
(@diogenes)
Eminent Member

so i guess youtube video embedding here is different or impossible from what i'm used to?

Posted : August 15, 2016 7:04 AM
(@chromerhino)
Estimable Member

Good idea, Shamangineer. The book sticky seems to be popular so I think a movie sticky would be a hit too. I switched this to a sticky and we will see how it goes to see if it stays a sticky.

Posted : August 15, 2016 3:52 PM
enjoypolo
(@enjoypolo)
Member Moderator

Great post and much needed. Here are few on top of my head that I've come across recently.

All the Gold you Can Eat (Credits to Shamangineer and Greg) - Joe de Kadt
Year: 2013
Synopsis: What if the alchemists were right?
All The Gold You Can Eat is a ground breaking independent documentary that sets out to explore one of history’s greatest enigmas: the mysterious art of alchemy. In this breathtaking and exquisitely shot documentary Joe de Kadt traverses the USA in a quest to discover the truth about a strange substance called ormus. Could this peculiar white powder be the legendary Philosopher’s Stone, fabled for curing all ailments, granting spiritual enlightenment and turning lead into gold?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpthXptk-kc

Deep Web (2015) by Alex Winter
Synopsis: Deep Web gives the inside story of one of the the most important and riveting digital crime sagas of the century -- the arrest of Ross William Ulbricht, the convicted 30-year-old entrepreneur accused to be 'Dread Pirate Roberts,' creator and operator of online black market Silk Road. The film explores how the brightest minds and thought leaders behind the Deep Web are now caught in the crosshairs of the battle for control of a future inextricably linked to technology, with our digital rights hanging in the balance.
Trailer / Film : https://vimeo.com/ondemand/deepweb/129696127

Sirius: From Dr. Steven Greer (2013)
Synopsis: The Earth has been visited by advanced Inter-Stellar Civilizations that can travel through other dimensions faster than the speed of light. They use energy propulsion systems that can bring us to a new era. Humans have also developed these systems, but those in power have suppressed them in order to keep us at the mercy of fossil fuels. It is time for you to know…and this documentary will let you in. Please enjoy “Sirius” for FREE and share with your friends and f
Also, Don't forget to check out the soon-to-be-released documentary by the makers of Sirius titled "Unacnknowledged: An Exposé" which Is going to dig even deeper.

Link to watch (free): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C_-HLD21hA
Trailer for Unacknowledged: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_-VPmD7kUk

Hollywood

Eyes Wide Shut - Stanley Kubrick (1999)
Keywords: Conspiracy; Occult knowledge

The Prestige (2006)
Keywords: Nikola Tesla

Posted : August 18, 2016 5:14 PM
(@shamangineer)
Noble Member
Topic starter

so i guess youtube video embedding here is different or impossible from what i’m used to?

To post a video just use the link tags. Posting the hyperlink as text shows neither the video or the text for some reason since the site was updated a couple months ago.

Posted : August 19, 2016 4:30 AM
(@shamangineer)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Anything and everything by Adam Curtis is amazing. I definitley get a Geldoffish feel from his stuff though, like he knows a bit more than he is letting on. . . Or perhaps he is simply taking you to the edge of truth so you can take the leap (for a wider appeal). . . or perhaps he is merely circling closer to the truth over the years stumbling on intriguing bits, it's hard to tell. I haven't really researched Curtis other than watching his documentaries, but they all come from the BBC so you know he is part of the establishment to one degree or another.

Title: Pandora's Box
Year: 1992
Synopsis: Pandora’s Box was a six part 1992 BBC documentary television series written and produced by Adam Curtis, which examines the consequences of political and technocratic rationalism. Curtis’ later The Century of the Self had a similar theme. The title sequence made extensive use of clips from the short film Design for Dreaming, as well as other similar archive footage.
Trailer: None.
For the full movie: Pandora's Box

Title: The Century of the Self
Year: 2002
Synopsis: How Freud's theories on the unconscious led to the development of public relations by his nephew Edward Bernays; the use of desire over need; and self-actualisation as a means of achieving economic growth and the political control of populations.
Trailer: The Century of the Self Trailer
For the full movie: The Century of the Self

Title: The Power of Nightmares
Year: 2004
Synopsis: Suggests a parallel between the rise of Islamism in the Arab world and neoconservatism in the United States, and their mutual need, argues Curtis, to create the myth of a dangerous enemy to gain support.
Trailer: The Power of Nightmares Trailer
For the full movie: The Power of Nightmares

Title: All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace
Year: 2011
Synopsis: Argues that computers have failed to liberate humanity, and instead have "distorted and simplified our view of the world around us". The title is taken from a 1967 poem of the same name by Richard Brautigan.
Trailer: Intro scene for the series
For the full movie: Rent or Buy.

Title: Bitter Lake
Year: 2015
Synopsis: Politicians used to have the confidence to tell us stories that made sense of the chaos of world events. But now there are no big stories and politicians react randomly to every new crisis - leaving us bewildered and disorientated. Bitter Lake is a new, adventurous and epic film by Adam Curtis that explains why the big stories that politicians tell us have become so simplified that we can’t really see the world any longer. The narrative goes all over the world, America, Britain, Russia and Saudi Arabia - but the country at the heart of it is Afghanistan. Because Afghanistan is the place that has confronted our politicians with the terrible truth - that they cannot understand what is going on any longer.The film reveals the forces that over the past thirty years rose up and undermined the confidence of politics to understand the world. And it shows the strange, dark role that Saudi Arabia has played in this. Bitter Lake is also experimental. Curtis has taken the unedited rushes of everything that the BBC has ever shot in Afghanistan - and used them in new and radical ways.
For the full movie: Adam Curtis: Bitter Lake | Full movie HD

Posted : August 23, 2016 1:00 AM
(@shamangineer)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Anything and everything by Adam Curtis is amazing. I definitely get a Geldoffish feel from his stuff though, like he knows a bit more than he is letting on. . . Or perhaps he is simply taking you to the edge of truth so you can take the leap (for a wider appeal). . . or perhaps he is merely circling closer to the truth over the years stumbling on intriguing bits, it’s hard to tell. I haven’t really researched Curtis other than watching his documentaries, but they all come from the BBC so you know he is part of the establishment to one degree or another.

I should have said a deeper truth, it's like he is researching the superficial aspects of the subjects very deeply, but doesn't seem to connect the dots to things like trans-humanism or eugenics (with regard to the technocratic engineered society) and also does not hit on Operation Gladio when it comes to his terror-related documentaries. Lacking these connecting dots, his conclusions tend to fall a bit flat for me because I know there is a more conspiratorial aspect to the stories he tells but the details he presents are definitely interesting.

Posted : August 24, 2016 1:22 AM
(@toddpowelson)

The Objective

I watched a film called The Objective this week that I'm still thinking about, and I'll probably watch it again real soon.

It's about a CIA agent who is sent out into the deserts of Afghanistan with a small squad of US soldiers to look into weird radioactive satellite readings. I can't really add any more without spoiling, * so spoilers (or possible spoilers) * Out in the desert the squad starts coming across ghosts, orbs, UFO/vimana... but I really think all of the strange phenomena was really caused by the Jinn, fire spirits, although I don't remember them saying that outright. Vimana were brought up briefly though. *

This is a B movie for sure and it shows sometimes, but it was also really well done, I thought. I don't remember where I heard about the movie, a recommendation a while back that I added to my amazon watch list, noticed it was still there, and finally decided to check out. I'm glad I did.

Here is a link to the film on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PYFE6Y/ref=dv_web_wtls_list_pr_6

Posted : August 27, 2016 6:06 AM
(@toddpowelson)

I was able to watch The Objective for free on Amazon by signing up for a 7 day trial subscription to their Shudder channel. The trial is over, but I wanted to watch the movie again today, and see its on Netflix too: https://www.netflix.com/watch/70106730

Posted : August 28, 2016 12:36 AM
Page 1 / 8
Share: