1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
enjoypolo
(@enjoypolo)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Self-portrait,1929

Yesterday, I visited the M.C. Escher museum in the Hague and thought I'd share some pictures that highlights his visionary work.

Maurits Cornelis Escher (1898-1972), known as M.C. Escher, was a Dutch artist now famous for his woodworks and lithographies, but who was actually ignored for most of his life. Escher was a true master of tricking the senses, so to speak, by experimenting with multiple-perspectives, and fractals (tessellations) with mathematical precision.

As someone who is in awe of the fractal, holography of Nature in/of the Universe, I can't help but realize that Escher was a visionary ahead of his time, and although the pictures below are not necessarily some of his most famous ones, they resonate with all that is fractal, toroidal and vortexes.

One that is well-famous but that I haven't included here is/are his Metamorphosis (there's two I believe), a 4-meter-long work that depicts an evolution, or rather, a Dance of Life, presented on a circular wheel (so that you literally walk around it to experience it). It's pretty cool, but it's also available online.

Here is an interactive version you can experience, with a bit of his personal background narrated

PS: A quote I read from the latest Water Conference fits Escher's character like a glove:
“Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought.” – Albert Szent-Györgyi

Posted : October 27, 2019 8:07 AM
Share: