Clear all

The Truth About Back Pain

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@pabaracus)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I became a physical therapist to overcome years of my own chronic pain. 5 Years after graduating I'm realising that the way we treat pain is broken. On top of this, our whole concept of pain, health and wellness has been shaped by greater (sometimes sinister) forces in society. I always struggled to work in common pain and injury clinics because it was quickly becoming soul destroying to be contributing to the perpetuation of so many lies. I always questioned the mainstream view of medicine, but I didn't think my interest in conspiracy theories would ever tie in to my work as a physical therapist.

Right now I'm trying to put forward a new paradigm. To make the old way of seeing things obsolete. I focus on the treatment of chronic, "unsolvable" back pain through personal growth, education and mind body solutions. Simply put, I look at the various factors, both within you and within your environment, that are creating the state of chronic stress that sustains chronic back pain. I'm passionate about educating and empowering people to take control of their health and their lives. I'm hoping to be of service to anyone who needs help and guidance and is open to a different approach.

To learn more about my work:
https://thebackpaincoach.net/
https://www.instagram.com/thebackpaincoach/

Posted : July 25, 2019 12:16 PM
(@thunderchicken)
Eminent Member

My own health was the 1st awakening to conspiracy and how intentionally broken the system is. I haven't seen any doctor in 7 years now. But I still suffer daliy with chronic back pain and a reoccurring addiction to opioids. Diet, exercise and a good nights rest can't be understated. However its nerve pain that I can't find a consistent method for. Sciatica sucks! Any tips?

Posted : July 29, 2019 4:28 PM
(@pabaracus)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

This is a pretty detailed post. I know you asked for tips and I don't want to be too intrusive so feel free to ignore some of the questions I ask, if you don't want to answer them. If you just want some quick tips I've listed them at the bottom.

Any kind of persistent pain is the result of the brain perceiving some sort of threat. This threat may be real (e.g. current fracture, heartbreak, wound, break up, burn, loss of a loved one, etc.), or remembered (e.g. an old injury, traumatic memory), or anticipated (e.g. a fear of moving or harming yourself due to some sort of belief you have about your body, fear of something bad happening in life). Basically, signals that are coming from the body are being interpreted as threatening, leading to hypertonicity or weakness or restricted blood flow (or all 3) in the low back and sciatic area. The key is to identify what your unconscious mind still perceives as threatening.

Lifestyle Considerations
You may get an insight into where this began by completing this sentence: 'I haven't felt quite the same since...'

This should point you in the right direction but you should also consider any major changes in the 6 to 12 months leading up to this time. Sometimes there's simply an accumulation of stress in one's life and there's a sort of breaking point. You focus on the breaking point but what really matters are the events and life circumstances leading up to that point.

Physiological Considerations
What is your breathing like? Do you breath through your mouth (frequently or when stressed)? Do you struggle to breathe through your nose? Do you snore? What is your sleep quality like? Any history of significant dental work (braces, root canal, major dental surgery)?

Nerve health is very dependent on the body having appropriate levels of CO2 and all of the potential issues I've listed in the previous paragraph are common causes of hyperventilation (which causes the loss of CO2). Also, I've never come across someone with chronic pain of any kind who didn't have an issue with their breathing.

What is your diet like? What does an average day of eating look like? Do you do any fasting or regularly have large gaps between meals (6+ hours)? Do you get cold hands and/or feet?

I ask these questions because there are also nutritional reasons why the body may not be producing adequate CO2.

Mechanical & Postural Considerations
If breathing is restricted this will restrict the movement of the spine, typically encouraging it to hyper extend. When the spine is hyper extended the gluteal muscles and muscles of the sciatic area are at a mechanical disadvantage. If they're at a mechanical disadvantage and they are consequently unable to do their job, other muscles will have to overwork to create movement, which may lead to pain. Usually the muscles that overwork are the Quadratus Lumborum and lumbar erectors. Restoring diaphragm length and restoring mobility to the spine should go a long way to resolving any mechanical issues.

VIDEO Back Pain: A Structural Perspective
VIDEO Back Pain: A Psychological Perspective

Emotional Considerations
Muscles have related organs and in Traditional Chinese Medicine most organs have related emotions.

• Glutes & Piriformis are potentially implicated in sciatica and are related to the sex organs. In TCM I can't find a specific emotion related to these but it may be related to any fears or shame or worry relating to organ function. Unresolved shame is quite common when it comes to chronic pain. You can try a meditative technique to focus on the pain and the problem and see if certain emotions come to mind. These may be bread crumbs to the deeper issue.
  • Quadratus Lumborum & Hamstrings are potentially implicated in sciatica and are related to the large intestine. In TCM the large intestine is related to grief. Grief is also related to the lungs and the lungs are very directly influenced by breathing issues. You may ask yourself if there is any unresolved grief that you're still dealing with. A simple exercise is to see if you can recount experiences of grief while remaining unaffected. Can you recount them in a matter of fact way, without any emotion? Or does the emotion still show itself in your voice, in your tone, in your facial expressions, in your breathing, in your body, etc.? The exercises in the Tell Your Story episode will help if unresolved emotions are an issue for you.

Quick Shotgun Approach

• Nasal Breathing. Learn how to slow down and control your breathing. The key is to learn to lengthen your diaphragm by focusing on lengthening the exhalation phase.
  • Bag Breathing. Use a paper bag to re-breath carbon dioxide. Seal the bag well so that carbon dioxide builds up. This will help build up carbon dioxide levels in your body which will promote oxygenation of the body and better nerve health. Use your own judgement with this. Don't do it so long that you're likely to faint or go unconscious. Be smart about it. Aim to do it for no more than a minute between 4 to 6 times spread out in the day. It should be hard at first. You may be gasping for air. Find a balance where it's challenging but you're able to cope with the lack of air.
  • Restore Spinal Movement. Specifically videos 5 to 11 in this playlist. Move as much as you can pain free in order to reassure your brain that its safe to move. Convince it gradually and provide a new, more accurate frame of reference.
  • Tell Your Story. Write the story of your pain. Write anything and everything that comes up for you. See where your thoughts take you and use this as an opportunity to lay things to rest and let your body move on.

Posted : July 30, 2019 12:32 PM
(@thunderchicken)
Eminent Member

Breathing sucks, diet sucks, many traumas. No family, no money, with a record.
I'm gonna look into these claims. I like that it's something new. I've gotten a good handle on my bludging and degenerative disks just by stretching and popping. I've learned to pop near every joint in my body. I've heard thats bad for you but I've had great results for over a decade. I'll give this a try.

Posted : July 30, 2019 2:53 PM
(@pabaracus)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

thunderchicken wrote: Breathing sucks, diet sucks, many traumas. No family, no money, with a record.
I'm gonna look into these claims. I like that it's something new. I've gotten a good handle on my bludging and degenerative disks just by stretching and popping. I've learned to pop near every joint in my body. I've heard thats bad for you but I've had great results for over a decade. I'll give this a try.

Then I would prioritise breathing, nutrition for stress reduction, and writing therapy.

The links I provided in my previous answer will help with the breathing side of things. This blog is great too.

This book will address nutrition for stress reduction. I haven't see many books or resources that effectively address nutrition with stress reduction in mind, which is the key to overcoming pain.

Are you familiar with Jordan Peterson? His Self Authoring program may help, but that Tell You Story link I mentioned is largely based on his work. This should help a lot with trauma.

Trauma Release Exercises can be great too. There's another member of the forum who is a TRE practitioner. I'm not sure how to tag people but she posted about Trauma Release Exercise in the THC Entrepreneurs thread. She'd be a good person to talk to about this.

Also, popping joints isn't bad for you if it doesn't hurt. It's just a release of gas in a joint. If you can do this yourself that's great, you'll never need to pay a Chiropractor to do it 😀

Posted : August 1, 2019 11:14 AM
Share: