81 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
enjoypolo
(@enjoypolo)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3pd-wxNEKQ

Just watched this archival video footage about the Inuit people in Canada, and how they used to build igloos.
It's quite ingenius. The thing that surprised me the most is how they essentially build their igloos in a spiral way (after slightly polishing the initial ice-block at an angle).

Intuition and spirals; peas and carrots.

Posted : October 18, 2019 6:56 PM
enjoypolo
(@enjoypolo)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzPesGsPr8M

Another wonderful, and insightful talk by Gunter Pauli given at the Green School in Bali. This one talks about vortex water (a water-vortex power plant is installed at the school, providing electrical energy!), but also plastics, in particular micro-plastics ingested by packaging (and how seaweeds can help us solve this problem); but also how bioplastics made from natural fibers (e.g. thistles) as alternatives (degradation over 6 months in soil / 2-yrs in water); education, and of course, Li-Fi, or 3D-Internet (Holographic).:rolleyes:

I forgot to mention bamboo as well.

Posted : November 16, 2019 8:27 PM
enjoypolo
(@enjoypolo)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Sharing some Bamboo Magick!
Works by Colombian Natural Architect Simon Velez:

Source: Dezen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHi1HCtAFEA

PS: Bamboo's hollow and circular shape makes it an ideal material for vortexing water!

Posted : December 15, 2019 10:47 AM
enjoypolo
(@enjoypolo)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

http://www.gunterpauli.com/books.html

Gunter Pauli just released his latest written-during-the-pandemic book, which is now available for free to everyone.
He has amassed a lot of flak after questioning and citing legitimate concerns over #5G and the Wuhan connection, as well as other elements. To the point where his website was hacked to prevent the release of this book (which is back again now). I've only checked the preface, but safe to say with Gunter, its never disappointing.

Posted : April 24, 2020 3:53 PM
(@shamangineer)
Noble Member

enjoypolo wrote: First day on the job, I had a look at the compost bin. Very unorganized and mostly just organic materials shoved in (no layering).
Next to it, around 5 Bokashi bins with lids. I opened them, and the stench of rotting materials was palpable, and infested with larvaes.
Next to it still, two buckets filled with darkened water. Some compost tea? Although it looked as though abandoned, with mosquito larvae blooming. As I took some notes, saw a few rats dashing around next to my feet.

I went home pondering about how to control the larvae infestation. And then a realization hit me: Instead of killing those voracious decomposers, BSF larvae (you can recognize they armored-shell, like a sowbug), why not farming them separately, while using them as fresh feed for the aquaponics fish?
After nerding out researching on this (In fact I'd already spent many hours on the past on the subject), it looks pretty easy to make that. Case in point, the larvae production is already present, I just need to find a way to harvest them.

Current plan of action is to transform one of the bins into a full-time BSF production plant, with a simple mechanism to harvest them.
The fact that I have at my disposition, a constant waste-stream from the lab's restaurant kitchen, as well as water (it rains a lot here, not to mention we're right by the canal), means the only thing required is ideal heat to keep them warm and productive (Challenge A for freezing outdoors winter). As for the construction, I am planning on applying the technique below, to the bin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbzedftrQJw

The incredible thing, as you can notice, is that once the larvae have grown from eating, they reach the stage where they look for soil to metamorphose into the black soldier fly. This is why a ramp is built, like a factory-production line, leads them straight out, and into a container for collection.

Getting rich protein-feeds never looked so easy.

In my classic fantasy style, I was dreaming up of ways to build such a ramp without damaging the bin (would rather avoid since its not my equipment per se). Inspired by Da Vinci's spiraling staircase, I'm thinking of center pillar, around which coils a double-helix staircases that go up top, with each staircase guiding the prepupates into a container for harvesting (avoiding getting too dirty dumpster diving in the bins).

Of course, I have no idea how I will achieve that, but where there's a will, there is a way, right? Solution B would be to glue ramps along the walls diagonally, until the top. But again, I'd like to reduce glueing/tampering with the bins; whereas a central column would simply needed to be placed in the middle)

the same type of bins we use

Spiraling staircase in the centre of the bin (idea: bamboo stick standing with cardboard spirals?)

More importantly, I'm gonna have to pitch this to my colleagues to get approval first. There are still a few hurdles to get around, like how to keep them warm in an outdoor environment (thinking of having the bins touching the compost pile to get it warm; or potentially a tiny biomeiler type. Or even putting the BSF bin in the middle of the compost pile (so that it always gets the heat around it).
Also, while BSF are gentle flies (unlike the pestilent house flies), I wonder if rodents would be causing trouble.

Seems to me though, as a great way to:
1) turning waste into protein feed (in this case, for the african catfish living in the aquaponics system)
2) Decomposing food into stable micro-organisms, making rich compost left behind
3) The result, at least in theory, should a) reduce costs for buying organic fish feed; b) make rich compost for the garden beds; c) an educational opportunity to learn/teach close-loop cycles.

Another one of my over-ambitious plans/fantasies, is an algae water-remediation system, inspired by John Todd's Eco Machines. The book, Healing Earth, is tremendously inspiring. But I don't want to put the cart before the horse, if you know what I mean. One step at a time.

In my experience BSF need to have their substrate changed regularly (it gets saturated with what I would call "funk juice"), I would just amend this into the compost, where you will get more flies. They are great feeders for just about anything carnivorous.

Posted : May 23, 2020 4:12 PM
enjoypolo
(@enjoypolo)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/07/spiral-shark-intestines-work-like-nikola-teslas-water-valve-study-finds/

Digging this thread to post about an article on biomimetic and Nikola Tesla's water valve in the mainstream press. It ends up pointing to the anatomy of shark intestines and their spiral columns, a fascinating insight. For more info on the valve and its characteristics, I'd point to the video below, but it's basically a one-way fluid tube with no moving parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suIAo0EYwOE

Posted : July 27, 2021 6:40 PM
Page 6 / 6
Share: