Anyone know anythin...

Notifications
Clear all

Anyone know anything about selling a food product?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@diogenes)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

maybe there's an online class for cheap?

i'm pretty sure to sell food in any way it has to be produced in a certain type of kitchen, which is not part of a home.

could be slightly off about that but i am involved with an art group that rented out their big kitchen space to food trucks and pastry makers who sold to local coffee shops and such.

Posted : August 30, 2016 7:56 AM
orangeluckypierre
(@orangeluckypierre)

You can do it "from home" if it's at a local level. It's only if you start selling to larger stores that they'll require food certificates. I make and sell chocolates but have other people make the products for me and they have all the certificates.

But the best advice I can give is to start small and local and see what happens.

The Anus that made Britain Great!
Captain Mango Ltd. - www.edibleanus.com

Posted : January 9, 2018 10:06 PM
(@personman)
Trusted Member

Most states have what they call a 'cottage food' law, this outlines the foods you can and cannot make for sale in a home kitchen. Look it up for your state, it usually just excludes things like meat products, dairy, pickles, jams, basically stuff that can mold easily. Lots of stuff is ok to sell with nothing more than a vendor's or seller's permit, basically a business liscense, It's easier than you would think. Your local university ag extension will be able to give you more info than you wanted.

Posted : February 5, 2018 12:08 AM
Share: