Notifications
Clear all

Don't love forums but love the THC discussion

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@monad34)
Topic starter

I've been a subscriber for a while now but don't really love forums so I avoided even joining. The first THC episode I heard was with Gordon White, my very own special lady and I were hooked and subscribed soon after. Even if I don't love the guest or topic the shows are usually quite enjoyable, I love sharing them with friends and discussing it all with my IRL companions.

The only gripe I have with anything is the insistence on using Google Analytics on http://www.thehighersidechatsplus.com/ . I'm sure most users of THC+ don't even realize that they are running Google tracking code just by visiting the site (or why that might be bad, which I hope isn't the case given the topic matter here.) There are in fact Free/Open Source alternatives that respect your users' privacy such as Piwik that are not only cost-free but easy to implement and maintain (if you know a bit about servers/websites.)

As a more tech-savvy user, I block Google scripts by default on any page that I visit via NoScript and other browser add-ons, but perhaps not everyone knows about these tools (or perhaps even why Google Analytics is bad to begin with!) and those with the knowledge have the responsibility to inform and assist those that do not.

Okay, that's my rant -- thanks for the show Greg!

Posted : May 9, 2017 10:01 PM
satyagraha
(@satyagraha)
Estimable Member

What's a very non-tech person to do?

I mean I know enough about the goog to know why I don't want them up my ass, but that's about all I know. I remember a site called, google-watch.org. I think that's gone now. Anyway, way back when, they were staffed by "ex" No Such Agency peeps. It could only have gotten worse since then.

Posted : May 10, 2017 6:02 PM
Share: