Travelling to the US - need advice

23 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@sacroff)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hey all

Work is sending me to the US for a few months to work on a project and I’m looking for some advice.

I have a water distiller that I use all the time in Australia, but I’m going to be without that luxury whilst in US. I’m definitely not keen on drinking fluoridated tap water whilst I travel, so I’ll be sticking to bottled.

Does anyone have any views on the best / cleanest bottled water that I should look for and also if I should avoid any particular brands?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Sacroff

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Posted : February 18, 2018 3:14 PM
(@bruwaste)

Though I am sure their water is fine, I avoid Nestle because they are a corporate evil. No Perrier nor Ice Mountain.

Posted : February 19, 2018 6:38 PM
sheddingmyskin
(@sheddingmyskin)

Depending on where you are going, the major Grocer's typically have their own bottled brand, that sometimes are not flouridated. I know Albertsons grocery stores lack flouride as well the major brand Aquafina. Good luck, it's all over the place and most bottled water is just sourced from the public 'tap' systems.

Posted : February 20, 2018 6:19 AM
(@sacroff)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

sheddingmyskin wrote: Depending on where you are going, the major Grocer's typically have their own bottled brand, that sometimes are not flouridated. I know Albertsons grocery stores lack flouride as well the major brand Aquafina. Good luck, it's all over the place and most bottled water is just sourced from the public 'tap' systems.

Thanks for the intel, i reall appreciate it. I’ll look out for Aquafina when I get there.

Posted : February 23, 2018 8:27 PM
(@hugh-johnson)
Trusted Member

Drink coffee. It removes flouride and heavy metals.

Posted : April 9, 2018 7:24 PM
(@sacroff)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

hugh johnson wrote: Drink coffee. It removes flouride and heavy metals.

Shops sell distilled water out here. Happy with that find, so I’ve been drinking that since I got here. But thanks for all the advice.

Posted : April 13, 2018 5:48 AM
enjoypolo
(@enjoypolo)
Member Moderator

I'm no medical expert, but I wouldn't advise you to drink distilled water. From my understanding of V. Schauberger, distilled water being pure, will absorb and eventually deplete the minerals in your body. At the very least, you need to ensure you're getting those minerals from other sources (ie, food, supplements).
Instead, I'd suggest looking at the labels at the back of items. Personally, sparkling water (San Peregrino) or spring water should be good. I survived a month in China, drinking boiled water from a kettle and bottled spring water.
You can always take a minute to meditate and send good intentions to your water bottle too! Good luck.

EDIT: It seems that distilled water is good for "sucking" toxins out of your body. However, drinking it every day isn't recommended for the reasons mentioned above.

Posted : April 13, 2018 4:33 PM
(@sacroff)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

enjoypolo wrote: I'm no medical expert, but I wouldn't advise you to drink distilled water. From my understanding of V. Schauberger, distilled water being pure, will absorb and eventually deplete the minerals in your body. At the very least, you need to ensure you're getting those minerals from other sources (ie, food, supplements).
Instead, I'd suggest looking at the labels at the back of items. Personally, sparkling water (San Peregrino) or spring water should be good. I survived a month in China, drinking boiled water from a kettle and bottled spring water.
You can always take a minute to meditate and send good intentions to your water bottle too! Good luck.

EDIT: It seems that distilled water is good for "sucking" toxins out of your body. However, drinking it every day isn't recommended for the reasons mentioned above.

I think there’s a lot of disinformation around distilled water. It’s obviously one of the big conspiracy discussions. I’ve been drinking it for a fairly long while now. When I’ve had to go back to tap water I’ve found it tastes metallic and not right.

Posted : April 15, 2018 6:23 AM
(@genxgemini)
Honorable Member

Ya know, I've always heard distilled water was the best because of its purity.Just make sure you take your daily vitamin tablet. Recently,though, everyone seems to say it's like drinking battery acid. Hmm?

Posted : April 15, 2018 5:03 PM
enjoypolo
(@enjoypolo)
Member Moderator

All I meant to imply, is that the body doesn't necessarily need "pure" water. In fact, is there an instance of pure water (distilled water) outside of the lab, aka in Nature?
However, minerals such as calcium, magnesium and sodium are needed for proper function of the body. So it's not that distilled water's bad, but rather, if you choose to drink it, you should be aware of the effects and thus take supplements (or making sure you get those minerals somehow, such as through food or other drinks).
The only thing I'm quite skeptical (and frankly speaking I may be biased on this) is fluoride. None of that in my water thank you.

Here's a study I glimpsed at from the National Institutes of Health, that looks at the content of various bottled and tap waters across the US in details. There are many variations as you can imagine. But the most surprising part was discussed at the end, and I'll quote below:

Finally, our study only examined levels of Ca2+, Mg2+, and Na+ in tap and bottled water. Drinking water may contain several other minerals (e.g., fluoride, potassium, zinc) and trace elements (e.g., arsenic, cyanide, lead) that are associated with benefits and risks for public health.211,27,44 Aesthetic factors such as taste, color, and temperature may also be important to consider when choosing drinking water.

I mean no shit, aren't these trace elements literal poison? So all in all, be mindful of what you buy, from my experience when there is fluoride, it usually says it in small letters on the bottle.

And a final point, regardless of what water you use, I always try vortexing it a few times both clockwise and counter-clockwise a few times. It oxygenates the water, and also allows some of those trace minerals to evaporate.

Another great way to sterilize water (especially so when you're drinking stream water or rain) is UV Light treatment. You can literally kill bacterias by shining blue-spectrum light, ain't that amazing?
https://www.steripen.com

Posted : April 15, 2018 7:26 PM
(@genxgemini)
Honorable Member

I hear ya,Brother. You are so right on that wacky neurotoxin. Portland Oregon is the only US city I know that doesn't put it in the water supply & the cityfolk had to fight tooth &nail to keep it out. Yay,PDX! Hope you have a blast on your trip. If you visit the Grand Canyon, look me up. Fellow THC Plusers get usually get a hefty campground discount! Cheers.

Posted : April 15, 2018 11:16 PM
(@sacroff)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I’m open to talking about this stuff, so not offended getting alternate views on distilled water or other subjects, so all good.

I do take vitamins, largely due to some of the THC podcasts I’ve listened to. Take, high concentrate Vit C, magnesium/calcium/zinc. iodine and turmeric.

Haven’t had any colds in a long while since. Might be coincidence, might be positive thinking or likely the supplements.

Posted : April 19, 2018 9:00 PM
(@genxgemini)
Honorable Member

Good to hear. Folks get bent out of shape over the wildest things,ya know:)

Posted : April 19, 2018 11:23 PM
splorgle
(@splorgle)

I always avoid nestle also. But other than that as long as it says “filtered or purified by reverse osmosis” I’ll drink it!

Posted : April 22, 2018 3:15 PM
enjoypolo
(@enjoypolo)
Member Moderator

May be a little off topic, but I started drinking Kombucha the past couple months and I'm loving it. It's natural fermented tea filled with probiotics that help with your gut flora, and while the ones by GT (California) contain sugar, it's definitely a nice refresher. Only downside is, it ain't cheap. However, if you have the patience, you can make some tea yourself, add some sugar to it (to feed the scoobie, or alien organism floating inside) and add to the kombucha left on the bottom and it'll basically grow itself back in a few weeks' time.
So that's an awesome thing about that. Mushrooms will save the world.

Posted : April 22, 2018 5:44 PM
Page 1 / 2
Share: