Notifications
Clear all

Fatum Project?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@greatshakes)
Topic starter

The "fatum project" seems to be urban exploring / geocaching with a paranormal twist:

https://github.com/fatum2/fatum-en/blob/master/docs/fatum_theory.txt

As someone given to aimless wandering, and also as a fan of Robert Anton Wilson-style experiments, I was thinking of giving this a try -- though I'm leery of retrieving coordinates from a remote server which could be running any code whatsoever. I doubt it's more malicious than "Pokemon Go," however -- in the worst case, a simple waste of time, and at very least a way of going to locations I haven't discovered on my own.

Anybody done any experiments along these lines or have any thoughts about geolocation algorithms like this?

Posted : April 29, 2019 5:08 PM
(@bgnrmind)

I've done it some, it's fun. I recommend it, and the fatum_theory.txt document is a great read too.

Your skepticism is actually addressed in fatum theory:

The greatest memetic danger is the Despair-meme, which becomes one of the most powerful levers of pressure from the stasis
field. During the first experiment, when 70,000 randomly selected people were sent to random points coordinates, almost all of
them immediately decided that the points were sent with the aim of a scam and saw danger in them. As a result, a very few
decided to go there. Such a reaction can be explained by the activation of the despair-meme, with which the holistic memeplex
tries to keep you within the framework of the pattern.

I don't think it's a nefarious algorithm sending people to empty fields and weird random spots.

If you're interested in becoming a Randonaut r/randonaut is a good resource as is the Randonaut Lobby on telegram. I think the shangrila_bot on Telegram was recently replaced by randonaut_bot or similar.

Posted : June 19, 2019 9:26 PM
(@greatshakes)
Topic starter

Interesting. I never did get around to trying this out, but your favorable report has renewed my interest. It's a strange world out there, let's keep exploring it!

Posted : July 13, 2019 8:26 PM
Share: