Notifications
Clear all

Waveform Loudness - please fix!!!

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@inkystarz)
Topic starter

My partner is a media maker, he says you haven't "normalized" your audio?
It's actually pretty bad - like I can't hear it unless I play the volume at 100%, but then if we're driving and the GPS audio comes in, it blows your ear drums.

From Neil:

""
This is a waveform graph of your episode - it's been 'clipped' at -6 decibles; which is fine for a raw recording, but not a final production. A simple 'normalize' pass over the media optimizing it at 100% (loudness) or 0db would solve your equation. [As long as you do that for your interview audio, your intro and outro are set to peak at -3]. Many times the 'falloff' in your guest's vocal patterns aren't minimized which leads to those DEEP dips in your waveforms. A simple workflow should include a basic normalize, then a single band compression at -6db by 4x compression - then a second normalize; smoothing out the bumps. If you need help with this in your audio editor, let me know 708.669.9039 and I can walk you through a professional workflow in 5min. It's really not complex, and completely worth your effort.

https://helpx.adobe.com/audition/how-to/broadcast-loudness-standards.html - is a tutorial that can guide you in loudness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lioBtbNQcOA - this youtube video is relatively well informed as well.""

You can reach my partner at mindwatermedia@gmail.com if you want him to post process some episodes before they're published and he's glad to do it for free - because he does it on his laptop before he'll allow me to listen to them in the car on our road trips - hahahaaaaa.

Seriously, all props for the great content - this is just a standard professional finishing technique that matches loudness for easy listening.

Posted : October 6, 2021 11:45 PM
Socalfungal
(@socalfungal)
Estimable Member

I often wondered if it was just my set up or if the guests really mumble that much.

Plus my hearing may or may not be damaged from all the dancing I’ve done in front of huge speaker stacks back in the day.

Posted : October 7, 2021 1:15 AM
Share: