Clear all

Mitch Horowitz -- How Thoughts Become Reality & The Occult

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@joshhinnenkamp)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Mitch's new book, The Miracle Club, which I have not read yet because it does not drop until October 16, is getting all kinds of rave reviews via advanced copies (Radin, Kripal, JM Greer as three examples). So, post-October 16 might be a good time to get him on. And this could add to some of Greg's intention of getting guests that dispense knowledge to HELP people.

Radin's review:
“As part of my scientific work, I study the relationship between mind and matter under strictly controlled laboratory conditions. I’ve found that those who laugh the loudest about the ‘power of affirmations’ will often ask me, but only after drinking a few beers and in hushed tones, ‘Seriously, do thoughts really influence reality?’ I respond by saying that based on the results of hundreds of published scientific experiments, it appears that yes, they really do. But that’s not what they want to know. They’re asking if their thoughts affect their reality in their everyday lives. To answer that question, there’s only one way to find out--try it yourself. For the clearest and most eminently rational description of exactly how to test the power of your thoughts, there is simply no better choice than Mitch Horowitz’s The Miracle Club.” (Dean Radin, Ph.D.,author of Real Magic)

Kripal's Review:
“The American lineage of mind metaphysics, or positive thinking, takes a beating from both the religious right and the intellectual left, who seem to share in little other than this fear and loathing of the possibility that we might actually be able to imagine ourselves into other realities, histories, and humanities. This same tradition has recently lacked a real intellectual voice willing to answer these too-certain critics and tackle some of the most difficult questions around this astonishing possibility, including the problem of suffering and just how this might all work. Not anymore. Enter Mitch Horowitz. Enter The Miracle Club. I wish every leader in the human-potential movement would read this book.” (Jeffrey J. Kripal, J. Newton Rayzor Professor of Religion at Rice University)

Mitch also wrote an excellent book on Occult America, sort of a history of consciousness and the occult, that has many fans (from the Fortean Times to Deepak Chopkra to documentarian Ken Burns). A link to the book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0553385151/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

Mitch's great article showing the links between Ronald Reagan's ideology and Manly P Hall:
https://www.salon.com/2014/01/05/ronald_reagan_and_the_occultist_the_amazing_story_of_the_thinker_behind_his_sunny_optimism/

And while NOT a Freemason, he considers it as not a secret society, but a fraternal organization. Here is a pretty good speech about Freemasonry, that probably won't convince conspiracy people, but deserves to be heard: If one starts at the 47:00 minute mark he expresses how most conspiracy literature and theory about the Illuminati comes from recycling two conspiracy texts from over a hundred years ago, something that i agree with. He is understanding of conspiracy culture but considers much of it a fantasy (which I don't think anyone can really argue against that).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bjMoSrHl0Y

He has also written books about the influential medium and seer and alternative nutritionist Edward Cayce (who David Wilcok laughably says he is the reincarnation of) and New Thought author Neville Godard.

From his Amazon page: MITCH HOROWITZ is a writer and publisher with a lifelong interest in man's search for meaning. The PEN Award-winning author of Occult America and One Simple Idea, Mitch has written on everything from the war on witches to the secret life of Ronald Reagan for The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Salon, and Time.com. The Washington Post says Mitch "treats esoteric ideas and movements with an even-handed intellectual studiousness that is too often lost in today's raised-voice discussions." He is the voice of popular audio books including Alcoholics Anonymous, and hosts the web series ORIGINS: SUPERSTITIONS. Mitch is vice president and executive editor at TarcherPerigee, a division of Penguin Random House. Visit him at www.MitchHorowitz.com and @MitchHorowitz

Posted : September 21, 2018 7:00 AM
Share: