Clear all

Andrei Sorin - Author of 'Software and Mind'

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@55srodgersgmail-com)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

This may be a long shot, but I'm noticing a shortage of computer programmer type people on the show.

As a programmer, myself, I found Mr. Sorin's book, 'Software and Mind' to be incredibly refreshing. Not to worry - the first 327 pages (there are 875 pages in all!) are about philosophy, language and history. He has some revolutionary ideas about all of these subjects.

There's plenty of conspiracy too - the blurb on the back cover says it all 'The software elite have turned software into a weapon, a means to dominate and control society...We depend more and more on the type of software that demands only trivial skills, so we are prevented from using our minds and expanding our knowledge''.

I know exactly what he is talking about from my experience with web development - I got so excited I ended up reading the whole thing twice.

You can read the entire book online here: http://www.softwareandmind.com/

It's available on Amazon, used from about $11. Quite an eye-opening and fun read!

Posted : July 17, 2019 12:25 AM
 rani
(@rani)
Reputable Member

software dev is also an area of MASSIVE waste. Bloated designs from distributed teams that don't connect properly even in the design stage. By the time the project has over run and blown out costs 150%, it always turns out that it is already outdated, or doesn't actually fulfil the needs it was meant to.

Case in point, our local 'smart' ticketing system for city transport blew out costs so much, it could have instead paid for free transport for 10 years for everybody. It's a wealth-transfer racket.

Posted : July 24, 2019 1:24 AM
Share: