Clear all

CHARLOTTESVILLE VA

10 Posts
4 Users
26 Likes
berrymybody
(@berrymybody)
Topic starter

Hi All -- My name's Windy, originally from San Diego CA but currently residing in Virginia. There probably won't be any replies but I thought hey! Never know. 

Posted : March 10, 2022 8:57 PM
Socalfungal, JH, Socalfungal and 1 people reacted
 JH
(@jh)
Reputable Member

Lived there until the coof hit. It was a nice little city before, went about as crazy as the worst of the Blue states with the restrictions/being closed down. Hope it's better now for you than last time I was there.

Posted : March 14, 2022 3:44 PM
berrymybody
(@berrymybody)
Topic starter

Posted by: @jh1517

Lived there until the coof hit. It was a nice little city before, went about as crazy as the worst of the Blue states with the restrictions/being closed down. Hope it's better now for you than last time I was there.

Thanks for the response! It's a little better I guess, for 'the city' lol. I don't actually live in Charlottesville, but it's the nearest identifiable thing. My fiance and I live in the woods in a cabin he built for us last year. It's the best. I do work in Charlottesville, where a lot of people are still masked up and what not but I never wear a mask anywhere and no one says anything.

Posted : March 15, 2022 3:38 PM
Socalfungal, JH, Socalfungal and 1 people reacted
Socalfungal
(@socalfungal)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @berrymybody

My fiance and I live in the woods in a cabin he built for us last year. It's the best.

I love this part of your story. Cabin in the woods built by bae sounds incredible, congratulations!👍🏻 
I used to live in San Diego, too. I miss it a lot sometimes. I’m in NY now. 

Posted : March 17, 2022 1:42 AM
JH, berrymybody, JH and 1 people reacted
berrymybody
(@berrymybody)
Topic starter

Posted by: @socalfungal  

I love this part of your story. Cabin in the woods built by bae sounds incredible, congratulations!👍🏻 

I used to live in San Diego, too. I miss it a lot sometimes. I’m in NY now. 

Thanks so much -- meeting this person and him building us a cabin was not something I expected whatsoever, yet it makes perfect sense lol.

What brought you to New York? What do you miss the most about SD? Having been born and raised there, it took me a long time to miss it, maybe because I left right after covid hit or something. But I do miss Balboa Park 🙂

Posted : March 17, 2022 1:16 PM
Socalfungal
(@socalfungal)
Estimable Member

Aww what a happy surprise to have found a partner like that. I wish you all the happiness❤️
What a perfect time for a living situation like your cabin in the woods!! Do you garden? Probably got deer and other munching critters to consider.  

I am a gardener. Personally and professionally. These billionaires in the Hamptons love having organic veg gardens 🌱👍🏻 It’s getting big over here since 2020.  They know about the coming collapse, I guess.

Hmmm i miss a lot about SD… I’m from Long Island and moved West in ‘91 and lived there 25 years. I miss breakfast burritos, the awesome underground dance party scene, swimming in the Pacific, the weather, everything is 5-10 minutes away on the freeway… I could go on… 

oh, I also miss Balboa park. So many walks were had, especially around the botanical areas. Those succulents were gorgeous!

I’m back here now with my family. I came back to be caregiver to my elderly great-aunt so she didn’t have to move into a care facility.  Now I’m hooked on being a part of the lives of my nieces and nephews. I don’t want to leave them. Plus it’s so easy to earn a living out here near The Hamptons. I had a hard time with that the last 5 years or so in Cali. I am a single gal, I’m too old to have roommates and not interested in working extra hard to pay for a house I’m never in because I am at work!! Lol that is some BS right there. It was crushing my spirit. 

I try to visit the SoCal homies a couple times a year and go to my dentist in TJ while I’m there. It’s less to fly to SD, stay for 2weeks, and TJ non-toxic dental work than just going to a non-toxic dentist in NY. Wtf lol 

Posted : March 17, 2022 10:03 PM
JH, berrymybody, JH and 1 people reacted
berrymybody
(@berrymybody)
Topic starter

Your story is very touching ❤️  Family is so important! It's awesome that you get to be there for them.

SD definitely has the best Mexican food. I don't know why everyone doesn't just do it that way lol. Santanas breakfast burrito slaps! 

We're more like aspiring gardeners, wannabes really. We have a few 3'x8' garden boxes, had good luck with some things and bad luck with some things last year, so we're just hoping to do way better this season. We're trying to get on your level!

Posted : March 18, 2022 1:21 PM
Socalfungal
(@socalfungal)
Estimable Member

@berrymybody 

gardens get better every year. Some successes and some failures should always be expected. Old farmer’s addage:

sow three seeds

one for the weather 🌱

one for the animals and insects🌱

and one for you  🌱

It’s all about the soil and water. Great, healthy soil full of microbes, mycorrhiza, and happy, un-chopped up worms (no till) with plenty of water at first,  then back off a little, then regular deep waterings twice a week. But great soil is more important. Always be adding new stuff every year. Manure, ash, coffee grounds, compost are good free stuffs. 
good luck

lmk if you are encountering an issue you need help with👍🏻

Dude—Mama’s Lebanese Bakery was like whoa. Also El Zarape and the yoga-cult run spot Jhyoti Byangha in North Park! Agh gotta get back to Dago soon. 

Posted : March 18, 2022 11:20 PM
berrymybody
(@berrymybody)
Topic starter

Thank you so much for the tips! You’ve given me a lot of inspiration ❤️

Posted : March 19, 2022 12:48 PM
Crates757
(@crates757)

Hello from Portsmouth, Va

Posted : August 22, 2022 5:59 PM
Share: