Clear all

Breaking the Cycle

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@elfmasta00)
Topic starter

Greg,

Hello, my name is Jeff. You may get a repeat of this message through several outlets, in hopes of me getting a response from you; in which I totally understand if you simply do not have the time, or have no interest. Trying to make a long story short, I just recently started listening to your podcast within the last week or two, after about four or five shows, I upgraded to plus. So you may have answered this question, or covered it on a past show, if so please forgive me.

I have been going to school and working crap jobs for over 12 years now, and I am miserable. I tried going to school for something “conventional” mostly to please others. To say the least, it isn’t working out for me. I decided to break the norm, more so than usual, instead of getting a degree that will get me a good job, I decided to major in Religious Studies which I have a genuine interest in.

I am not one bit Religious nor Spiritual, but it simply fascinates me, what do I want to do with the degree exactly? I’m not sure. Ultimately, I of course, want to do something I enjoy, but there isn’t many positions that are seeking Liberal Arts degrees. Just as a personal goal, I want to get a PhD. Why? To show that I am an expert in a field I suppose. I am probably sounding off the wall on everything, but all in all, I want to be seen as credible. Now, like you, and many of your guests did, I want to get away from answering to someone and punching a time clock. I just don’t know how…
Though I do want to be an expert in one thing, I do realize that only a fool throws all of his eggs in one basket. Along with Religion, I have many interests, especially the Paranormal, spanning back since I was a kid. If I did go to Grad School, my Dissertation would be on something along the lines of Demonology, or various Mythologies throughout History, and how they pertain to modern times. I don’t like to send cheesy messages like this, but you inspired me to find my own way without government sanction.
As I said, I recently became a plus member, and just recently started listening to the oldest plus shows to the most recent. The most recent one I listened to is the one with Marty Leeds, combining math and language. It was interesting all, but where Marty said that he dropped out of College because he realized that he learned more from his personal readings than they ones that were assigned in his classes, made me realize that I do the same.
Sorry to make this so wordy, as I felt a needed to explain my situation which is probably redundant anyway. My question is, how exactly did you do it? Do have any tips on what you did? I understand that you started the Podcast while working, and then became independent. I just don’t know how to make that transition. I signed up to Upwork.com to try and get experience in doing research for others. I want to. of course become an authority on a subject to write books, host a show, host seminars, or something along those lines. Any advice would be great, or a short segment on a Podcast would really be highly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

Posted : March 27, 2016 1:00 AM
(@stormesweet)

Hey Jeff,

I know of someone with a BA in religious studies whose first job out of college was being a group facilitator for a non-profit which helped women in crisis. I was surprised that she didn't need a degree in psychology for that, and was even more surprised of her choice of major in college because she didn't seem at all like a religious person. This makes me thing there could be opportunities in working in the NP sector serving diverse populations, especially youth.

I know you addressed your question to Greg. Hope it's OK I pitched my .02.

Good luck,

Storme

Posted : March 29, 2016 1:39 PM
(@elfmasta00)
Topic starter

Thanks for your input. Great to hear about your friend.Thankfully things are changing where people are starting to look less at majors, and more at the individual. Businesses are starting to see people with a Humanities degree engage themselves in research,discipline, and critical thinking. Hopefully one day, it will go back where people are looked at for their genuine qualities, and not degree at all. Religious Studies is the study of the History, structure, comparisons,and contrasts of a vast array of many Religions, where Theology is really the study of God, where many clergy look. Most people who pursue a Religious Studies degree are a atheist, or agnostic. They often look for fallacies, which you don't have to look to hard for.

Posted : March 31, 2016 10:18 PM
(@northplaza)

I think things are changing to where degrees are no longer considered a sign of credibility not expertise.

College is a huge rat race and student loans the worst kind of financial trap.

Posted : April 30, 2016 1:20 PM
Share: