Adam Curry | No Agenda, Podcasting 2.0, & The Kraken

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
enjoypolo
(@enjoypolo)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

The Podfather himself, Adam Curry, joins THC to talk about the No Agenda Show, subverting censorship, the madness of our times, & most importantly: Podcasting 2.0. Not only was Adam at ground zero for podcasting as we know it, but now he's paving the way to decentralize the podcast index, & implement many new features for both podcasters & listeners alike.
We will overcome! Please make sure all your favorite hosts and podcasting apps are aware of the new decentralized, uncorporatized, PodcastIndex.org and think about how you might be able to help make the world of podcasting better.

Check out Adam's trifecta of podcasting goodness: No Agenda Podcasting 2.0 Moe Factz w/ Adam Curry

Posted : January 22, 2021 7:21 AM
enjoypolo
(@enjoypolo)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Very excited to get through this episode! Been wishing for AC ever since his appearance on JRE :):rolleyes:

Posted : January 22, 2021 8:49 AM
(@dingus)
Trusted Member

Dammit Greg, you just sucked me back in to a plus subscription, I need to hear the full episode with Curry. In the morning to you!

Posted : January 22, 2021 4:23 PM
(@jeanette)

More like this! Love Adam and his high value solutions.

Posted : January 22, 2021 4:45 PM
(@isaiah)
Trusted Member

dingus wrote: Dammit Greg, you just sucked me back in to a plus subscription, I need to hear the full episode with Curry. In the morning to you!

Don't sleep on the Carlwood!

Posted : January 22, 2021 6:03 PM
(@dingus)
Trusted Member

I am a huge fan of Curry so I was extra hyped for this interview. Just felt like leaving some thoughts because the interview got me thinking about this podcast moreso than the actual content of the interview.

If I had to say how this episode was, well, I don't think it was one of the better ones. It was a bit awkward on the first hour before Curry let his hair down. I can tell he has never listened to THC, because he was completely unprepared for Greg to sit back and not talk for minutes on end. Which is, of course, the strength of THC. At one point he said "you are going to have to hit me with a rock" and I'm pretty sure he was like "come on kid you need to interact with me more!" After the hour mark I think Curry finally got hip to the fact that he had a platform to say what he wanted to say and started flowing. To contrast with the Rogan episode, it is amazing how Rogan can grunt and meathead his way through a convo with Curry and make it go a lot smoother.

I place 100% of the "blame" (too negative a word) on Curry. Despite all of his aptitude and experience I don't think he believes he is an expert at anything. He constantly says stuff like "Yeah I made my own file server using Telnet in the 90s, but we were just hacking around I have no idea how to actually program!" Which is obviously bullshit, he clearly knows his stuff, he just likes to be the facilitator not the expert. In contrast, THC is a place for experts in something to come and share their expertise. Greg gives wide clearance to the guests so they can fully explain their points, with Greg interjecting with topic defining segues.

I really like how Greg’s cadence works for the conspiracy space. If you are engaging as an equal part of the discussion you likely turn into George Noory. You can’t disagree with your guests because the nature of the topic is hard to fully believe in the first place, so you end up nodding along and saying “wow that’s interesting!” over and over. Or even worse than Noory, you turn into Gordon White. Gordon is a spectacularly interesting and entertaining person, but a TERRIBLE interviewer. Gordon seems to bring on guests to interview HIMSELF, often interrupting guests to interject his own opinion. Or going on and on about his opinion and ending with a “what do you think about what I think?” Only the strongest of guests can shine on Rune Soup.

I think this is the exception that proves the rule. Curry is not an ideal guest for this format, and Greg’s style is in fact perfect for the typical guest. Honestly I was disappointed that Curry didn’t take full advantage of the opportunity to go off in his own voice about things. I had the thought that he may be a bit more one dimensional than I previously thought. But honestly I think he is just very used to his radio persona and was purely unprepared to be given the floor without a bevy of clips to lean on. I would love to see him come back with a different mindset and have another crack at it.

Greg, great job getting Curry on, great job teeing up the discussion, don't change a thing you do and I hope you can get a more focused Curry back on in the future.

Posted : January 25, 2021 2:03 AM
(@raizok)

I have to admit that this episode was good enough for me to get to subscribe here for a year. Been listening to THC long enough and had a one month membership for a brief spell, but episodes like this makes every cent worth the price of admission
Thanks Greg.

Posted : January 31, 2021 6:40 AM
(@jst27)

raizok wrote: I have to admit that this episode was good enough for me to get to subscribe here for a year. Been listening to THC long enough and had a one month membership for a brief spell, but episodes like this makes every cent worth the price of admission
Thanks Greg.

Same. Been listening to THC since Greg had co-hosts(like 2000s?). Great show. I'll subscribe to anyone that's willing to try the V4V/podcast 2.0 system. Hopefully Greg hops on at least one of the 2.0 apps so I can drop this subscription and just set up weekly ETH payments

Posted : February 3, 2021 6:41 AM
Share: