Hello from the western most North part of China

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
FarminTruth
(@farmintruth)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I'm Tom . Long time listener , just got THC+ recently. Figured I'd drop a quick Hello to everyone around .

A little about me : I'm an aspiring urban farmer , and food security advocate . I've been fighting large scale agriculture in my own way for the last 4 years. My main weapon ? My 3/8's of an acre high production (pesticide free) urban farm. Where I have successfully out-grown large scale farms in terms of yield for the last 4 years.

Example : my farm produces 8000lbs of food a season (enough to feed 4 humans for a full year) , on 3/8ths of an acre . Large scale potato production gives an average yield of 10k lbs per acre . Well...fuck them right? Right!

Anyway, here's a hello from PEI, Canada .

Got you there with the title , admit it

Posted : November 9, 2021 3:22 PM
(@smaaaddy)
Reputable Member

Welcome
Definitely had me LOL

Posted : November 9, 2021 6:15 PM
FarminTruth
(@farmintruth)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

smaddy wrote:
Welcome
Definitely had me LOL

I'm so glad. But really. We basically are China at this point . Buncha Cold little Chinese Canucks

Posted : November 9, 2021 6:20 PM
Socalfungal
(@socalfungal)
Estimable Member

Lol you did get me with that title!
So cool to hear about your large harvests! Do you preserve your harvest or sell it?
Fellow farmer here. On a much smaller scale tho. Definitely pesticide free, and my gardens get better with every passing season.
Do you use a cover crop or mulch?

Posted : November 9, 2021 7:01 PM
FarminTruth
(@farmintruth)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

socalbeachbunny wrote:
Lol you did get me with that title!
So cool to hear about your large harvests! Do you preserve your harvest or sell it?
Fellow farmer here. On a much smaller scale tho. Definitely pesticide free, and my gardens get better with every passing season.
Do you use a cover crop or mulch?

I sell my harvest. I don't want to self promote but ( @theburlyfarmer, on socials) . I'm dipping my toes into ferments and preserves. And I use a no-till method. So cover cropping is a must. I also use "living walkways " between beds to hold soil in place and retain water .

Posted : November 9, 2021 7:22 PM
Socalfungal
(@socalfungal)
Estimable Member

Neat!
I should do some fermentation… it’s so healthy, I just don’t always love the flavor… I usually can pickles but this year was a bad cucumber year. Only my persian style cukes thrived. I usually can jams, tomato sauce and pickled cauliflower, too. I think I’m going to try canning beans this year, I’ve never done that. I freeze the stuff at harvest and start canning when my kitchen is chilly, great way to warm it up.
Those living walkways sound lovely.

Posted : November 9, 2021 8:08 PM
FarminTruth
(@farmintruth)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

socalbeachbunny wrote:
Neat!
I should do some fermentation… it’s so healthy, I just don’t always love the flavor… I usually can pickles but this year was a bad cucumber year. Only my persian style cukes thrived. I usually can jams, tomato sauce and pickled cauliflower, too. I think I’m going to try canning beans this year, I’ve never done that. I freeze the stuff at harvest and start canning when my kitchen is chilly, great way to warm it up.
Those living walkways sound lovely.

I typically ferment jalapeños and other peppers to get around that "taste" 🙂

Posted : November 9, 2021 8:32 PM
 JH
(@jh)
Reputable Member

Had so many questions I was gonna ask, good play 🙂

Posted : November 10, 2021 1:04 AM
(@orchid20)
Estimable Member

Your "motherland" has much to learn from you!

I've read in some places that it is actually China's food crisis that is driving the whole stinkin' thing we are going through, and everything else is just 5th generation warfare to ultimately get China more land to waste yet again on bad farming practices.

Anyways... ganbei! 😎

Posted : November 12, 2021 3:15 PM
FarminTruth
(@farmintruth)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

In case anyone is interested I'll leave this here . It's not much but I'm proud of it

www.theburlyfarmer.com

Posted : December 3, 2021 12:58 PM
Share: